Monday, 18 June 2012

Killing it in Kilworth

Well the Kilworth yard sales have come again for another year.  It was unreal - I think it was even crazier than last year.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera to take pictures of all the action - you'll just have to join me in person next year!

I did manage to come away with some good finds though.  Although, I must admit that some of them came from subsequent yard saling in Mount Brydges and Strathroy.

Here's my haul!

An air filter for $10.  Price tag was still on it for $39.99.  I've been needing to pick one up for far longer than I'd care to admit, so I was pretty excited to find the right sized one!


Skates!  I haven't had a pair of skates in years, ever since a friend of my brother's borrowed mine and they never returned (never did my nice leather hockey gloves either, but that's besides the point).  These ones are brand new - never even been worn.  Mom bought them for me - we got them and a bunch of Cars toys for $25.


A Matt Groening book.  I've never read much of his Life in Hell (pre-Simpsons) stuff, so I grabbed this for a dollar.  I happily paid full price just to irritate the cheap woman who was going to war with the seller trying to chew him down to $2 for $7 worth of stuff.


The complete series of Boston Legal for $5!  Yes, five seasons of DVDs for $5!  I've never actually seen Boston Legal, but I've heard good things about it, and for $5 I couldn't pass it up.


A Cat in the Hat clock for $1.  I have a soft spot of Dr. Seuss stuff, and have a lot of related stuff in Vivian's room, so I couldn't pass this one by.


I'm a sucker for kids selling stuff at yard sales.  There was one little girl selling her sister's photography prints for 50 cents each, so I grabbed these two.


A little vintage Pyrex action for $2 - a cute little divided dish.


A Piglet leash for Vivian!  This thing is brand new and was only $1.


A whole bunch of clothes for Vivian for $5.  Black and grey skinny jeans, cute striped pants, a skully sweater and a denim dress overall deal.


And finally - a typewriter for $1.


That sale was pretty funny.  It was from the same yard sale where I got the clothes and the Pyrex dish.  I saw the typewriter sitting there and wanted it.  Bad.  But I didn't know if I was ready to cross into having a vintage typewriter.  So I bought the rest of the stuff from the woman and actually said to her, "I love that typewriter, but I don't know if I have the hipster cred to own it."  Her response?  "Well, do you have a bike?  If you have the bike, I think you can handle the typewriter."  Sadly, I don't have a bike, so I walked away.  Back in the van I told mom how much I wanted it...

Me - "Did you see that typewriter?  I really wanted it.  It was a dollar.  A DOLLAR!"
Mom - "Does it work?"
Me - "I don't know, I don't care if it works really."
Mom - "What are you going to do with it?"
Me - "I dunno, just put it on the table or something.  Maybe I shouldn't get it, it probably weighs a tonne."
Mom - "How much was it?"
Me - "A dollar!"
Mom - "Just get it if you want is so bad."
Me - "Okay!  I want it!"

Plus 1000 hipster points for me!

So I ran back out and got it, and they were so excited that someone actually bought it, because they thought no one would want it.  They asked me if I was a writer, because apparently they were picturing me holed up somewhere writing the newest Misery novel with a cigarette dangling out of my mouth or something.  I told them I was a court reporter, so I have a bit of a soft spot for typing devices.  Even though I've never used one, I would scoop up a stenography machine in a heartbeat.

So there you go - that's my haul from yard saling.  Oh, except I also got a dahlia plant that I forgot to take a picture of.  The best part of that was carrying it down the street and having a guy yell, "Hey!  Is that a marijuana plant?"  And me yelling back, "Yep!  But they're all sold out now!"  My mom also got a car seat for a great deal, a dahlia plant, a beautiful blanket for the baby she has right now, and some toys for the kids.  Oh, and a free office chair for my brother.  My friend Lisa got some great trucks for her son, and we all had some yummy gelato, fries and back bacon on a bun.

Mostly though we learned some more tricks for next year - what to do, what not to do.  Next year we'll be there at 6:00 a.m. with a truck and will really clean up!

Anyone else do any yard saling?  Do I have the hipster cred for my typewriter?  I better buy some black rimmed glasses and more flannel.

1 comment:

Dan Brown said...

Is it just me, or did you notice a lot of vinyl LPs at the sale?

It seemed like everyone had the same old albums from the 1970s.

Did you notice this?