Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Pop Cupcakes. Yes, "Pop" with a "P"

Have you ever heard of baking with different kinds of pop?  Someone told me once that you can combine a box of yellow cake mix with a can of Diet Coke and it will turn out good.  Then Pinterest is covered with recipes for things using Diet 7Up.  I, of course, had to investigate this.

So yesterday Vivian and I take a walk down to the store to get some Diet 7Up to go with the lonely box of cherry chip cake mix that had been sitting in the cupboard just waiting for me to bake it and eat it all.  Of course, the store had no Diet 7Up, which is too bad because the whole point of using diet pop is that it cuts down on the calories so you don't have to feel bad about eating a whole pan of cupcakes.  Now consumed with the idea of trying this out though, I settled for standard 7Up.

And so with a quick mixing of the cake mix and 12 ounces of 7Up, I had the batter.  Naturally I performed some quality control by eating a few spoonfuls before going ahead and baking it.  They turned out pretty awesome - light and fluffy and basically just taste like regular cherry chip cake, but with the tiniest hint of lemon lime.  I didn't take any pictures because it's late and I'm lazy and fighting a cold and really don't feel like going through the motions.

What blows me away about this idea is how did someone come up with it in the first place?  Who sat down and said, "Gee, I'd love to bake a cake, but I seem to be out of eggs.  What else could I use?  Ah, yes!  This can of pop should do nicely."  Seriously, what is the thought process there?

Of course, now I'm dying to try it with my beloved Diet Dr. Pepper.  I think it could pair quite nicely with a chocolate cake, don't you?

Have you ever tried baking something with pop?  Or had to use any other crazy substitute in a pinch?

1 comment:

Eleven's Ink said...

My mom use to put pop in her batter as well (for a upside down pineapple cake) but now you really really really have me jonezing for some chocolate/dr.pepper cake. Will do and post photos on my blog!

And yeah, who the heck thought that up??