Thursday, 31 May 2012

Just one foot in front of the other

I did something big today.  Something I've been meaning to do for a long time.  I signed my ass up for a 10k run.  Am I ready for it?  Nope.  Will I be ready for it?  Nope, seeing as it's this Sunday.

Yep, I'm a genius.

But, this is a big deal for me.  This is the Bluewater Bridge run.  It's 10k from Port Huron, across the Bluewater Bridge to Canaterra Park in Sarnia.  I've been wanting to do this run since 2010 and I'm finally going to do it this year.  In 2010 I was pregnant, in 2011 I was still too squishy and ended up coming down with a terrible sinus infection anyway, but this year there's no good excuse.

It's going to be hard, but I figure at least half of it has to be downhill, right?  I mean, I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure that's how bridges work.  The important thing is I'm doing it.  It's been important to me for years and I'm finally going to do it.

And I'm doing it for me.

I'm not trying to prove anything.  I don't care if I have to crawl across that finish line, I'm going to be proud of myself because I will reach that finish line.  I'm going to do it because running makes me happy.  It makes me feel like me.  It makes me feel strong, it makes me feel centered, it makes me feel focused.  It doesn't matter how fast I am, what matters is that I'm out there.

I might not be this positive come Monday morning though.

So now for the important question - playlist suggestions?  I'm going to need a seriously awesome playlist to keep my feet moving!  Let me know what gets you up and moving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish you luck Ashlie! I am sure you will finish and you will feel fantastic for it. :)

Aunt Jill