Tuesday, 22 May 2012

The Essentials?

So you all remember my purging, right?  My crazy sweep through the entire house eliminating anything that I deem redundant, unnecessary, useless or just too much clutter?  Well I also got to my CDs and have edited down the collection to only CDs that I enjoy listening to in their entirety.  Seem crazy?  Well I figure that the only place where I listen to CDs is in my car, so I don't need to mess around with a CD that I only want for a couple of songs.  If I only like a couple of songs, I can just download them and be done with it.

Now, the result of only having CDs that I can listen to in their entirety is that I have a mildly embarrassing, completely bizarre collection of CDs.  And, because I seem to be unable to stop embarrassing myself on this blog, I thought I would share the ones that made the cut with you.  Judge away.

Now before I get into it I just want to clarify that I've had many, many CDs lost and stolen over the years, so this is what's left.  Also, this doesn't include Jagger's rather extensive (and dust-collecting) CD collection, these are just mine.

Okay, ready?


  • Any and all of my Say Anything ("...Is a Real Boy", "In Defence of the Genre", Self Titled, and "Anarchy, My Dear")  They're my favourite band, and I listen to at least one of their CDs at least once a week.
  • Zebrahead - I have "Waste of Mind", "Playmate of the Year", "M.F.Z.B." and "Broadcast to the World".  If I had to narrow it down, I would only keep "Playmate" and "M.F.Z.B."
  • Panic! At the Disco.  "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out", "Pretty, Odd" and "Vices and Virtues".  "A Fever" is really the only one that I adore though.
  • My nu-metal loves - Limp Bizkit - "Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water" and "Results May Vary".  Yes, I own a post-Chocolate Starfish Limp Bizkit album.  Deal with it, or I'll make you listen to my Fred Durst impression.  Linkin Park - "Hybrid Theory", "Meteora" and Minutes to Midnight".  What can I say, I love me some Mike Shinoda.  Disturbed - "The Sickness". Yup.  hed(PE) - "Blackout".  I know every word of this album, and I will terrify you by rapping along with it.
  • Swollen Members.  I LOVE SWOLLEN MEMBERS.  There, I said it.  You'll find "Balance", "Bad Dreams", "Heavy", "Monsters in the Closet" and "Black Magic".  Word.
  • Beastie Boys - "Licence to Ill", "Ill Communication" and "To the 5 Boroughs".  Am I the only one who can't stop listening to the Beastie Boys since MCA died?  It's on constant rotation in the Foxy Focus these days.
  • Gwen Stefani - "L.A.M.B."  I am nothing if not varied in my tastes.  Just wait.
  • Transplants - Self titled.  One of my all time favourite blast it in the car albums.
  • 311 - "From Chaos".  I don't know why I kept this, because I think it's scratched all to shit and barely even plays anymore.  Still love it though!
  • The Tragically Hip - "Up to Here".  Every good Canadian needs a Hip album in their collection.
  • Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve and Other Stories".  I don't know if Christmas albums should even count, but here it is.
  • Sprung Monkey - "Get a Taste".  One of the more random ones in there, but I love it.  Remember that "Party Like a Rock Star" song from back in the day?  This is them and I love this album.
  • The Black Keys - "El Camino".  'Nuff Said.
  • Elvis - "30 #1 Hits".  He is the king.
  • Goldfinger - Self titled.  Oh, the late '90s.
  • The Bloodhound Gang - "One Fierce Beer Coaster" and "Hooray for Boobies".  I love the Bloodhound Gang.  They're so freaking clever.  For reals, don't dismiss them as a gimmick band.  
  • Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American".  Oh, this album is so first year university for me.  Still love it.
  • Cold War Kids - "Robbers & Cowards".  This is one of my all-time favourite atmosphere-y albums. It's the perfect CD to have on in the background when you have people over, or if you need something chill for a car ride.  Love, love.
  • AC/DC - "Back in Black".  I mean, obviously.
  • Saves the Day - "In Reverie".  Not one of my all-time faves, but I do love this band.
  • Tenacious D - Self Titled.  Never gets old!
  • Arctic Monkey - "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not".  Another great album to have on in the background.
  • Jimmie's Chicken Shack - "B.Y.O.S."  My favourite band in high school.  I wanted to go to Maryland to see them play so bad!  I have a VHS of a bootlegged concert that I bought at a flea market and I'll never ever part with it!  Also, I have "An Udderly Fowl Release" which is a compilation album from their record label, "Fowl Records".  I was never a huge fan of it, but it's not exactly something that you can pick up just anywhere, so I won't let it go.
  • INXS "The Greatest Hits".  We had "Kick" on cassette when I was growing up and Michael Hutchence had one of my favourite voices of all time.
  • Michael Buble - "It's Time" and Self Titled.  Here's something you didn't know about me - I fell asleep to Michael Buble basically every night for a long time.  He's so soothing!
  • And just for good measure, a couple of soundtracks - Juno and Walk the Line.  Can't go wrong.
So tell me - what are the embarassing CDs sitting in your collection that you just can't let go of?  Someone please tell me they still have a dusty old copy of CrazySexyCool hanging around.  I miss mine!


1 comment:

The Keith said...

Swollen Members?!?! Saweeeeeeet