Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Junk in the Trunk (and then drive it to the Goodwill or something)

I've mentioned on here already that I've been doing a huge purge lately.  I've been going through room by room, cupboard by cupboard, closet by closet, junk drawer by junk drawer, just getting rid of a bit of everything and anything.

I've just had way too much stuff around, and it was time to let some stuff go before I lost my mind.  So, it was goodbye to Vivian's baby clothes and toys, time to sort through my books and make some tough decisions.

Here's my current pile o'stuff that needs to go away.


Not super impressive - but keep in mind this is after I had already taken 7 bags of clothes and stuff to the Goodwill and had someone pick up 3 tables, 2 boxes of books, an exersaucer and a couple of bins of randomness.


I'm not done - the garage still needs to be tackled.  But, I thought in case you guys were thinking of doing some spring cleaning of your own, I would share my methods with you.

IF you have the room - having a holding area.  That pile of stuff is in the spare room.  It's nice to be able to decide to get rid of something, then hide it in there for a bit.  If it's sitting in there for a few weeks and you don't miss it or regret wanting to toss it, then you're good to go!

Many small passes are often easier than one big purge.  I find it's easier to go over things three or four times sometimes - just keep combing through and finding things that you don't need or don't feel attached to.  With my books, I would just look over my shelves over and over again, and even if I found one more book to part with, it was worth it.

Divide and conquer.  I went through my CD's and just kept sorting them into piles until I was down to a bare minimum.  I would sort out the ones I wanted to keep, then go through that pile and be really cuttroat with the ones I thought I wanted.  In the end, I only kept the CDs that I can listen to in their entirety.  That really cut down the pile.  I figure in this day and age, if an album only has one or two songs that I like, I'll just download them.  Physical CDs have to be pretty special anymore for me to want to keep them!

Try not to be nostalgic.  I got rid of all of Vivian's baby stuff.  Like, virtually everything.  And you know what?  It wasn't that bad.  I didn't cry over the tiny sleepers and outfits that no longer fit her.  It's just stuff.  And I want the space more than I want the stuff.  Bottom line.

Get rid of the redundant things.  Going through my kitchen cupboards was a big area to tidy up.  Do I need three sets of mixing bowls?  No, not really.  Do I need four different spatulas?  No, not really.  It's amazing how many doubles and triples of things can be hanging around your kitchen.

Curate your collections.  I love my books.  Love them.  But it was time to really go through them.  I've probably gotten rid of a third of my books now.  It actually wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.  I don't need university textbooks anymore.  I don't need books I didn't like in the first place.  I don't need random chick lit books that I'll never read again.  I've kept the books that are important to me and that form a collection.  Be proud of me - this was hard!

I don't know about you - but I think that getting rid of stuff can be just as much fun as getting new stuff.  There's something incredibly satisfying about having an empty drawer in your desk or an empty cupboard in your kitchen.

Let me know if you want to come sort through my junk - I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff!

No comments: