Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Pinterest Challenge - Winter Edition


It's Pinterest Challenge time!  I'm linking up with the lovely ladies at Young House Love and Bower Power today and I'm so excited to see what everyone decided to make this time around!

This time around, I took inspiration from these three sources...

Originally from here.  Repinned from here.

Originally from here.  Repinned from here.

Originally from here.  Repinned from here.
And my plan was to pretty up this craptastic bookcase that I pulled off the side of the road last summer.


Now, I forgot to take any progress pictures, probably because I started it at like 1:00 in the morning one night and finished it at about the same time last night.  But, here's what it looks like now!


And yes, that's my attempt at dressing the shelves at 1:00 in the morning.  Deal with it.

Basically I tore a bunch of pages out of an old medical encyclopedia that I got at the Salvation Army for 50 cents.  Then I just sprayed down the shelf with spray adhesive and stuck the pages down.  Of course I was sure to pull out pages that are about drinking, drug use, sex and puberty because I'm basically a 14 year old boy.

Once I had the whole deal covered, I did a layer of Modge Podge (well, cheap person Modge Podge.  That's water and white glue for the uninitiated.) and then sprayed the whole thing down with some spray lacquer to give it a little bit of a finish.

It's not a perfect job, as is the case with most things I do.  But for being a basically free project (the only thing I had to go out and buy was the medical encyclopedia) I'm pretty happy with it, if only for the experience and to learn from it for the next project!


AND, as a special bonus, my friend Lisa got in on the Pinterest Challenge as well!

She made these awesome looking lasagne cupcakes, which she repinned from here and were originally from here.




Don't they look awesome?  Here's what she had to say about the recipe - "So the only thing I would change is I would bake the first layer of wontons before I did the recipe, making them a bit firm on the bottom and easier to move out of the tin."  

She served them with some steamed cauliflower sprinkled with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and a touch of balsamic vinegar.  And don't forget the garlic bread!  She also doubled the recipe, which is a good idea since she has two teenage boys in the house!

I have to admit - I'm already thinking up ideas for the Spring Pinterest challenge!  There's always something new and exciting to be made!


3 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! The bookshelf looks great. I love the look of the print. I can't wait for the next challenge!

lisaampraill said...

i love that there is a little spider man dude behind my cupcake tin!! lol
Those things really were good. And the shelf looks cooL :)

Mrs. Great Indoors said...

The bookcase looks awesome, and those lasagne cupcakes made my mouth water. I have to say that I was a little suspicious of anything that included lasagna and cupcakes in the same sentence, but I could totally make those. :-) Enjoy your bookcase!

Great job to both of you, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

Erin @ The Great Indoors