Tuesday, 13 March 2012

MP3s Killed the Secret Song

Sometimes new technology has side effects that you don't think about until you encounter them.  I was listening to an album on my iPod the other day when I realized that the second to last song was 12 minutes long, followed by the final song.  I realized that what I was looking at was a not-so-secret secret song.

Remember secret songs?  And the joy of discovering that if you just let that CD play out, some gem would be discovered?  I can distinctly remember sitting around with a bunch of people listening to Green Day's "Dookie" and letting it run out for the secret song.  Oh the fun times we had in grade 7 or 8.

Actually, not too long ago I was listening to one of my all-time favourite albums - BYOS by Zebrahead.  I honestly listened to this CD almost every single day for about two years.  It was my constant companion with my Discman (remember how sweet and giant the Discman was?  Oh yeah.) while riding the bus in university.  I would just listen to it over and over and over again, and still enjoy blasting it in my car on occasion.

Which is why it was such a surprise the other day when I left the car running while I picked Vivian up from daycare.  I returned to the car to hear a song I had never heard before - a secret song still buried from way back in 2003 that I was just now discovering.  It was the nicest surprise, and such a blast from the past.  Not only did I get to hear a song by a band that I love, but I got to experience that joy and surprise that you just can't get from glancing at your iPod and realizing that you have an oddly long song.

Yep, there's something to be said for those old CDs.



(Not the secret song, but you should all enjoy a little Zebrahead in your lives.  Come live in the early 2000s with me, it's great.)

No comments: