Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Tuesday's Gone.



I was stuck for a blog idea this morning.  I have a bunch of stuff waiting in the draft folder, but wasn’t inspired to finish any of it.  Then I went to lunch with my friend, Jerri.  Hi Jerri!  Jerri and I have a very simple formula for our lunch dates – we go to Wendy’s and we talk about TV and movies.  Today was no exception as we bantered back and forth with the latest scheduling news and DVD release dates.  As we talked about upcoming DVDs that would be coming out, I mentioned how we have gotten away from the Tuesday release.  So now you get to hear me rant about it.

There used to be a very simple order to the world.  Books, CDs, and DVDs came out on Tuesdays.  Comics came out on Wednesdays.  Magazines came out on Thursdays.  Movies were released on Fridays.  That was just the way of the world.  But lately, it seems like anything goes.  Movies have Thursday midnight releases.  Or they come out on a Wednesday.  Seriously – what the hell is that?  I understand that sometimes they’re released early to get in on a holiday weekend and increase their premiere grosses, but seriously.  DVDs will be released on Fridays or Sundays or whenever the hell they want.  It’s just insanity.

Have we become so fast-paced and focused on our instant gratification that we can’t look forward to designated days anymore?  Isn’t it bad enough that we can watch movies and TV shows on demand whenever we want thanks to the internet and a million other resources?  Is nothing sacred?

Now, I’m basically the most impatient person in the world, but I love Tuesday releases.  I love going to Best Buy or Future Shop and checking out the board to see what came out this week and what I can look forward to next week.  When you start messing with the releases and having special days devoted just to your release (I’m looking at you, Twilight) it just throws off my whole cabbage patch.

Am I right?  Or am I going off the deep end about nothing here? 

2 comments:

Melissa W said...

I haven't thought about it too much, but I totally agree. The world needs more structure, stability and predictability. :)

Dan Brown said...

I think the question here is, do thrive on order? Why the need for predictability, as Mellisa said. What's wrong with chaos?

When I grew up, TV shows debuted in the fall. Summer was reruns. Now shows come premiere any old time.