Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Spoiler Alert!

There are two types of people in this world.  Spoilerphobes and Spoilerphiles.

Spoilerphobes avoid spoilers at all costs.  They don't want to know what's happening on next week's episode, they don't want to know how the movie ends, the don't want to know about the crazy twist that you can't see coming.  They just don't want to know anything.  They like to be pure and just experience things as they were meant to be.  God help you if you accidentally spoil a spoilerphobe.  You could end up with a flipped dining room table and someone crying in the car because they found out how the latest season of Dexter ends.  Beware the spoilerphobe.  You can identify them by their tightly covered eyes and constant "Lalalalala" sound when you're talking about the latest "Ask Ausiello" post on TVLine.

Then there's the spoilerphiles.  That's me.  We scour casting announcements.  We read upcoming episode descriptions.  We beg for you to tell us how the movie ends.  We read the wiki article of a movie while watching it.  We read recaps of episodes we haven't watched yet.  We don't like surprises.  We like control.

When the season 3 finale of LOST was leaked online, I read it.  I spoiled one of the greatest twists ever.  I won't spoil it for you here, but if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.  Do I regret it?  Yeah, a little bit.  But you know what?  It didn't make me enjoy it any less.  It still hit me hard.  That's just the way I am, even if I know something is coming, I can still enjoy it.  I don't need the shock factor.

Is it fun to be surprised?  Sure, sometimes.  But is it fun to be spoiled and know what's coming and be dying with anticipation to see it actually come to fruition.

Where do you stand on spoilers?  And if you love them - tell me where you get your good spoilers!


No comments: