Saturday, 24 December 2011

Radvent: Day 24 - Magic


I love Christmas Eve.  I love that feeling of finally being able to sit down and look at the wrapped gifts and have a beer with my mom and feel like we finished.  It's never easy getting to that point - there have been lots of Christmases, most Christmases, where it feel like it just isn't going to happen.  There's too much to buy, not enough time, not enough money.  

Somehow though, things work out.  Somehow everything comes together.  The presents get bought, wrapped and put under the tree.  The groceries are in the fridge, the beer is ready and Christmas happens.  Somehow.

It's funny the Christmases you remember as a kid.  One of the Christmases that always stands out in my mind is the year our dog ate all of our ornaments.  We had an artificial tree stuck in a bucket of sand because we didn't have a tree stand.  For a single mom with three kids, it was a rough Christmas.  Every time we came home the tree had fallen over out of its bucket of sand - our sad tree with a couple of garlands and like three ornaments that were saved from the dog.

I don't remember what I got for Christmas that year.  I will never forget that tree though.  That tree sums up Christmas with my mom.  It might not be perfect, and it might seem like it's going to fall apart, but it's there and that's what matters.  When I think about that tree, I laugh every single time.  That sad tree lying on the floor is burned into my memory, and even though it might not have been very funny at the time, it makes me laugh now to think of that year.

I hope you're all having a wonderful Christmas Eve!  Cheers!


No comments: