Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Radvent - Day 13: Performing


When I saw that today's prompt was "Performing" I figured I could go in two directions.  One, I could write a mildly pretentious post about the different roles I play in my life - mother, wife, sister, friend, daughter...blah, blah, blah.  Or, I could tell you about my job.

I don't talk about my job too much on here, mostly because people from work read my blog and I wouldn't want to say anything bad about work.  Not that there's anything wrong with any aspect of my amazing job, of course!  (That was close.)

See, I'm a court reporter.  I work in traffic court.  Yes, every single time I tell someone what I do for a living they start to mime typing on a stenography machine.  No, I don't use one.  Yes, I can type very fast.  Most of my days at work are spent sitting in a court room in front of the justice of the peace and facing a room full of people.  I have to wear a stupid black robe and even stupider white dickie and read charges, swear in witnesses, do paperwork at the speed of light, make sure the computer is recording everything that's happening and type lightening-fast notes on everything that's going on.  It can be hectic sometimes, but I really do enjoy it.  

What's often the hardest part of my job, however, is keeping a straight face.  See, even though I sit facing the whole courtroom, it's really easy to forget that everyone can see me.  Weird, right?  But it's true.  I get caught up in whatever I'm doing and can forget about all the people.  This can be a problem when someone is telling a ridiculous story to explain why they were speeding (everyone has an excuse) or why they absolutely couldn't stop for that yellow light.  My eyes are just dying to roll at them, but I have to be professional and reserved.  Sure, there's lots of moments when the mood is lighter and we all have a good chuckle about something, but more often than not, my inner monologue is being snarky and sarcastic while my face tries to remain impartial.

It can be exhausting not letting people know how crazy they can sound sometimes.

No comments: