Saturday, 10 December 2011

Radvent: Day 10 - Writing


I'll be honest.  This blog is about the only time I write now.  I keep a notebook with notes and letters to Vivian, but other than that, this is it.  When I was younger, I used to write all the time.  I had notebooks filled with partial stories and lofty dreams of being a writer.

And now here I am, talking to you.

The one thing I hear all the time about my writing is that I write just like I talk.  So if you've never met me in real life, you can be pretty sure that reading this is basically like talking to me.  Maybe I should try and do a video blog sometime so you can see just how random I can be.  That's always been such a strange comment to me though - how else would I write?  If my writing doesn't sound like me, then who should it sound like?  Am I supposed to be fancy and throw in bigger words to make myself sound smarter?  Should I try to be more flowery and deep?

That's what I like about having a blog.  It's my rules.  I can write about whatever Nonsense (see what I did there?) I like.  There's no rules, there's no guidelines.  If people like it, that's awesome!  And if people think I'm a lunatic, well, that's just the way it goes I guess.

Maybe you should do a little writing in the comments section!  Tell me what you like to write about, or just gush about how wonderful I am.  That works too.

1 comment:

Dan Brown said...

Maybe for people who have been to university, they don't write like they talk because the academic process grinds out any personality your writing might have. Writing like you talk is hard, for me anyway, because you have to consciously throw the rules out and just be conversational. And don't kid yourself, conversational writing is hard.