Saturday, 12 November 2011

Those shows you hate that you love

Do you have shows like these?  Shows that just drive you crazy, but you keep coming back for more?  For me, there are two shows that definitely stand out - Whitney and Grey's Anatomy.

Whitney is a new show that just premiered in September.  I was wary of it from the start - it's a traditional 3-camera style sitcom starring Whitney Cummings.  What bothers me about the show is that it seems really outdated and on-the-nose.  It's very, "Oh wow!  She's wacky!  She doesn't want to get married!  Look at her brightly coloured apartment and scruffy boyfriend!  She's so awkward, but she's hot too!"  It drives me crazy.  But, because it has a primo timeslot, I keep watching.  I hate myself for doing it, and mostly just make fun of it while watching, but I don't think I've missed an episode.

Grey's Anatomy, on the other hand, is an old friend.  I've been watching it since the beginning, and there have been times when I've genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to watching it every week.  I stopped watching during the season where Izzy gets a brain tumour or whatever and we have that all-too famous "ghost sex" scene.  I just couldn't take it anymore after that.  But, in true Grey's fashion, they brought me back with the whole rampage shooter in the hospital episode.  So here I am, watching it again every week and only becoming more and more irritated.  Derek is a jerk, Bailey is a jerk, Lexi has nothing to do...it's so incredibly frustrating.  And yet, I keep watching.  And what's even worse is the show keeps making me cry!  Not as hard as it used to (remember the Amish girl who was dying and had to say good bye to her friend?  Or those brain tumour teenagers who were in love?) Grey's used to be able to reduce me to full-on tears - not an easy feat.  But today it's more of a choked up feeling, which only serves to irritate me more.

I'm a prisoner of these shows.

Anyone else?  Is there a show you just can't stand but continue to watch it for some strange reason?  I could throw Glee in here too (what the hell is going on this season?  Why is Quinn such a hateful shrew?) but Glee is in a whole other category of it's own.  It's the ultimate show that people love to hate, and hate to love.

2 comments:

lhamo Mashutzo said...

:)

Dan Brown said...

Do you know TV with TV's Jonathon Torres? I can't look away. It's like a tragic train accident and I can't help staring.