Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Book Clubs



Sookie and Pam might not do book clubs, but I do.

I've always wanted to be in a book club, because I'm cool like that.  Now I'm lucky enough to be in two of them.

The first one is the graphic novel group.  We meet at LA Mood in London on the second Saturday of the month to discuss our choice.  It's a great group, and if you're in the London area and have ever had any desire to check out graphic novels, you should check out our group.  It's okay, it's not a bunch of "Comic Book Guys" who know every detail about everything and scoff at people who have only read Archie comics before.  It's totally laid back and easy to make your voice heard.  It's been great for us to expand our reading and check out a bunch of stuff we never would have read otherwise.  We've been meeting for over two years already, and I definitely hope that there will be many more years with the group.

My other book club is the Third Tuesday Book Club.  Obviously, we meet on the third Tuesday of the month.  The story behind this one is I "met" Jenn by commenting on Nikki Stafford's blog.  Eventually we realized we were in the same city, and I stalked her Google profile to find out that she had a blog for the book club.  Somehow, I manage to infiltrate the group.  What I love most about this book club is that we barely talk about the book.  We meet at a Starbucks and literally talk about the book for about five minutes before launching into chatting about anything and everything else.  Honestly, there was one meeting where none of us had even read the book.  It's relaxed, it's easy going, there's no pressure if you don't finish a book or don't like a book because before you know it we'll be talking about vampires - especially the Edward Cullen look a like who dominated our meeting last month.

Between the two clubs, I've read a lot of great books, met a lot of great people and had a lot of great conversations - with many more to come.

Anyone else in a book club?

No comments: