Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Fall TV First Impressions

Here are my thoughts on all those new TV shows.  I try to give a show two episodes after the pilot before I make a final decision.  I haven't gotten there on all of these yet, but I thought I would share my initial thoughts!

Pan Am - I liked the second episode better than the pilot.  I'm not totally in love with this show, but it has me interested enough to keep watching.  I don't like Laura, the main girl, and would prefer to see more of Christina Ricci.  Let's hope this show "takes off".  Hahahaha.

2 Broke Girls - I found the pilot episode pretty meh, if only because it was really Joke!  Joke!  Joke!  But, that's a pilot episode for you.  The second episode was a bit better, but still pretty jokey.  I love Kat Dennings though, so I'll keep watching for sure.

The Playboy Club - I'm so frustrated by this show.  I really want to like it, but I haven't quite signed on yet.  It's the kind of show that I can watch while giving 60% of my attention to Pinterest at the same time.  The way the character of Carol-Lynne talks drives me crazy.  She seems to add an extra little "heh" all the time.  Drives me nuts.  Since I wrote this, it's been cancelled.  Can't say I'm too upset.

Ringer - I tried with this show, I really did.  I gave it three episodes, but I'm out.  It just didn't grab me, and I felt like I could see the plot twists coming.  It's not a bad show, it's just not for me.  (Although that boat scene in the pilot episode was pretty much the most brutal thing ever.)

New Girl - Love it.  All the reviews of this episode seem to say that to like this show you have to already be charmed by Zooey Deschanel and I am definitely in that club.  She's adorable and hilarious, and I love this show.

Up All Night - Love, love it.  This show is just right up my alley right now.  There was a comment on last week's episode about "sweatpants purgatory" that totally connected with me.  Plus, Jason Lee is going to be joining the cast, and I adore Jason Lee.

Free Agents - This show is really only okay, but it benefits from a good timeslot for me.  It's not great, and it's not terrible, it's just sort of there.  I don't mind it, but I definitely wouldn't be upset if it were cancelled.

Revenge - Holy crap.  I am loving this show.  It was barely even on my radar before it premiered, but I'm so glad I gave it a chance.  It's a great nighttime soap, full of intrigue and scandal.  I'm really enjoying it, and it's definitely become something I look forward to every week.  Also, they've said that all the questions in the pilot will be answered by episode 13, and then new plots of revenge will take centre stage.  I love a show with a plan.  Plus, it's set in the Hamptons, and I could pretty much just watch it for the houses.

Charlie's Angels - Full disclosure - I only watched the pilot.  I spent the first 10 minutes of the pilot wondering what the heck Catalina from My Name is Earl was doing on the show and where Minka Kelly was.  Didn't love it, didn't capture me.  It was goofy and hokey, but not in that really over the top awesome kind of way.  It's been removed from the DVR schedule.

Person of Interest - Loved the pilot.  It definitely caught my interest, and is well-styled.  The second episode was a little slower, but I'm in this one for the long haul.

Whitney - Oh, Whitney.  The pilot episode was so cheesy, so typical.  I was predicting jokes.  I'm still watching it, hoping it will get better (and also because it has a really convenient timeslot) but I'm not liking it.  I don't like the whole "She's so kooky!  She says inappropriate things!  She wanted to wear a hoodie to a wedding!  What a kook!" deal.

Prime Suspect - I'm not big on police procedurals, but this one does intrigue me.  Maria Bello is awesome in the role, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with this one.  I can kind of see this one getting piled up on my DVR before I just give up on it.

A Gifted Man - I'm actually enjoying this one, despite it having a pretty lame premise.  I will fully admit that the appeal of this show is 40% based on the timeslot (not too much else on on Fridays, just Fringe) and 60% based on the fact that I have a crush on Patrick Wilson.  He's just so darn handsome.

Terra Nova - I've only watched the first hour, but I really enjoyed it.  The effects were pretty impressive for TV, and I liked all the characters.  I'm anxious to watch the other two hours waiting on my DVR for me!

Suburgatory - I really, really enjoyed the pilot.  I wasn't expecting to like this one, but I found it really clever and funny.  Cheryl Hines is awesome in it, and it's the perfect show to lead in on Wednesdays before Modern Family.

How to be a Gentleman - Didn't even get through the pilot episode.  It was just terrible.

Still to come - Grimm and Once Upon a Time




1 comment:

Eleven's Ink said...

I was soooo dissapointed with Pan Am.

Playboy Club has been cancelled? I thought it was sooo well scripted.

Terra Nova + Person of Interest = Love!

2 broke girls is hilarious, kat dennings really does the show

and new girl...forget that hocus pocus, i was not a zooey deschanel fan before this show. I am now. I never LOL during sitcoms, this one has me crying-laughing. the chicken dance. swoon.