Friday, 2 September 2011

Vivian Vendredi - Looking Ahead

It's September.  It's not quite fall yet, but it's definitely on its way.  As it gets closer, more and more people have been asking me what I have planned when I go back to work.  My official "return to work" day is November 28th, but I had a bunch of vacation time saved, so I'm off on vacation until January.  I have, however, decided to go back to work one or two days a week in December so Vivian can get used to her new routine at daycare.

We've found a really lovely home daycare in Strathroy, and I'm really excited about it.  The lady who runs it seems really nice, accommodating, and really willing to go out of her way to plan lots of activities for the kids.

The best part is two of Vivian's friends will also be at the same daycare.  So our daycare provider can expect scenes like this on a regular basis.



Yep, she'll be earning her money.

Is it wrong to say that I'm excited about Vivian going to daycare?  For one thing, I know she'll love it.  She loves being around other kids, so I know that won't be a problem.  And for another thing, I need to go back to work.  Not only financially, but just for me.  As much as I've loved being home with Vivian and spending this time with her, I know that I'm just not cut out to be a stay at home mom.  I'm excited to wake up and get dressed, to have a reason to put makeup on, to talk to grown-ups and have a coffee without a little hand getting dunked in it.  Yes, it will be hard - I'll have to get up earlier to get her dropped off by 7:00 a.m., and it will be quite the adjustment  not to see her all day, but it's a good thing.

She'll also be spending one day a week at my mom's, which will be so much fun for both of them.  She might start going to my mom's one day a week even just for a couple of hours so I can get a break.  She'll be doing the same with the daycare, starting out with a couple of hours here and there to adjust to it.  It's so hard to get anything done around here with her, so even a couple of hours will make a huge difference!

Yes, it will be weird and difficult not to see this little face all day, every day, but I think it will be worth it to see her face light up when I walk in to pick her up at the end of the day.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not blame you a bit Ashlie. It is definitely harder to stay at home than to go to work. Juggling time and the drop off/pick up can be very stressful but I'm sure you will do fantastic.

Aunt Jill

Dan Brown said...

You're a brave woman to admit you want a life of your own. Can I suggest a future blog topic? We've all seen Vivian grow in the last few months, but how have YOU grown?

ashlie said...

Thanks, Dan. I've been thinking of doing a blog like that, but thought I might wait until closer to her birthday so it's kind of a "after a year of maternity leave" kind of thing. Hopefully it lives up to expectations!