Friday, 9 September 2011

Vivian Vendredi - Fighting over the remote

Vivian, like most babies, has always been obsessed with the remote.  Lately though, I've been wondering if she wants the remote just so she can change the channel to something more her speed.



Yes, Vivian is usually without pants when we're at home.

Vivian has fully discovered the wonder of TV.  I know, I know.  I'm one of those parents.  Sue me.  I've never kept Vivian from the TV - if I have to be stuck at home all day, I'm going to watch daytime TV.  It's always been on in the background since day one.  It's amazing to me how she can completely ignore the TV when it's Hoda and Kathie Lee or What Not To Wear, but as soon as I turn it to Treehouse, she's mesmerized.

At first, she had zero interest.  I would turn on the TV and bounce around saying, "Look!  Vivian, look!  It's Yo Gabba Gabba!  Death Cab for Cutie is on Yo Gabba Gabba!  Come watch with mom!"  Nothing.  She would just take off down the hall to go play with an electrical outlet for something.  But now, when I turn it to her show something amazing happens.

She slows down.  She'll sit in my lap on the floor, have her bottle and relax.  I can feel her whole body just relax for five minutes out of the whole day.  Mostly, I've been turning the TV to her shows for about 10-15 minutes before I want her to go to sleep.  It helps her wind down for her nap so I can avoid hearing her scream for 20 minutes.  At bedtime we usually have a cuddle in the rocking chair and watch something until she starts to get drowsy.  It's been really nice.

Of course, she's been having a terrible week for sleeping at night.  I'm not ready to put a TV in her bedroom though...not yet at least.



Just a bonus picture because I think it's so darn cute...


Sigh.  I need a new camera.

No comments: