Monday, 26 September 2011

Painting Rooms the Hooker Shower Way

Do you know what a "hooker shower" is?  I think there's multiple definitions - the one I most commonly use is that it's a shower where you don't wash your hair - because it's the only part of you that isn't dirty.  Other variations include just giving yourself a quick clean-up with wet wipes (I prefer to think of that as a camping shower) or just spraying on more perfume.

What could that possibly have to do with painting our bedroom?  Well, I did a hooker shower version of painting the room.

First of all, let's go back.  I've been wanting to paint our room since before we even moved in.  The lime green just wasn't doing it for me.  Here's a messy before shot.


Fun Fact - apparently this room was used as the previous owner's son's room, and the parents slept in the basement.  Kind of weird, right?

Anyway - Jagger was away at a conference last week, so I decided to paint it since it would only be me getting displaced and having to sleep in the office.  Of course, I was super broke, so I had to make do with what I had.  

I decided to use the leftover paint from when Vivian's room was painted last year.  I love the colour (Fort Gary Grey by Para Paint), we still had lots left, and I figured we would repaint Vivian's room long before this room would get repainted, so it's not like they would be the same colour forever.  Not that that's a big deal - it's kind of fitting, since those two rooms were the same colour to start with.

So I cracked open the can of paint and went to town with my new dollar store paint brush and roller.  I had taped off the trim for the first time ever since I knew I would have to paint quickly, while Vivian was sleeping.  Normally, I just paint away and don't worry about taping - I'm too impatient for that.  Anyway, I got the cutting in done and had painted three walls when I realized I wouldn't have enough paint to do two coats.

Sigh.

See, I love painting, but I'm really impatient at it.  I love doing one coat, can tolerate doing a second coat, and almost always refuse a third coat or more.  So when I realized I was running out of paint, I didn't do the practical thing and go buy more paint, I went with the hooker shower option, and totally half-assed it.

Once I had the first coat on and dried, I took a good look at it.  It looked okay - it had covered well, and there were only those little speckles that seem to come through they way they do on that first coat.  Of course, it really needed a second coat to make it finished, but since that wasn't happening, I went for the next best thing.  I grabbed my paint brush and the little paint I had left and just started slapping it on the bald patches.

Yes, I did.  I know, it sounds so ghetto and I'm sure there's some designer somewhere losing it over my bad form (you can get an idea of what I was dealing with in this picture) but I really, really didn't want to buy more paint.


In the end, it turned out very okay.  Sure there are still a few areas that could definitely use a second coat of paint (I keep telling myself that maybe one day I'll do a proper second coat, but who am I kidding?) but it's definitely very okay.  I probably should have just added some of the white paint that I have just to be sure I had lots of paint, but I didn't.  I'm not one of those people who think that the master bedroom needs to be a perfect sanctuary or anything, it's just a room.  A room that very few people see.  I don't exactly entertain guests in there, so it's really not that big of a deal.  I'm just happy it's not lime green anymore.




What do you think?  Improvement?  Pretty impressive for getting it done by myself while Vivian was napping, huh?

That's one thing to scratch off the to-do list.  What do you think of that wooden dresser-nightstand dealio I have going there?  I'm considering spray painting it.  Possibly purple.  I don't know if that's a terrible idea or not.  I'm also considering painting that old Singer sewing table.  I'm thinking grey on the bottom and yellow on the top.  Terrible idea?

3 comments:

annabel said...

I just saw your comment on younghouselove about how you'd seen my charger thing on offbeat home and well, if you follow my two favourite sites, it's probably a sign I should follow yours so I came over!

My grandma called a hooker's bath a "whore's bath" and used it to mean a "pits and parts" wash at the sink. The room looks great! I love the colour and I think the nightstand looks great natural - but purple could be nice and punchy too.

Eleven's Ink said...

"totally half-assed it" ahahahaha litterally LOL'd at work!

Love the outcome, your furniture doesnt even look the same against a more natural tone of colour.

A nice deep purple could be nice.

Yup, "Hooker Showers" means "pits and parts" for me too!! lol.

Grey+Yellow= Bliss, go for it!

Great job, I can barely do anything and I don't even have a child!! :P

Rita said...

I think it looks great!! And I'd love to see the armoir with a lighter shade of whatever you pick. it'll really pop against that gray wall!!