Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Pinterest Challenge!

I read Young House Love and Bower Power way too much.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  So when Sherry and Katie decided to issue a challenge to stop pinning and start doing, I was all over it.

I took my inspiration from the following pins...

Buttons in a shadowbox...


 (The source on this one doesn't really work well, so I can't accurately credit it)

Yarn wreath (these are everywhere, but this is the one I pinned)


 From here

Easy DIY dry erase board...


From here
Nothing too strenuous, right?

Here's what I came up with.



I lucked out and found some shadowboxes on clearance at Michael's for $8.  I could have sworn I had more buttons lying around though.  I'm not super happy with how it turned out, and might consider spray painting the shadowbox a bright white someday, that might help it.  There's also about 18,936 holes in it now because I didn't plan out where I was putting my buttons, I just started shoving them in there, then moved them around a bunch of times.  That's what happens when you try to make things while a baby is going through a phase of only sleeping for 45 minutes at a time.



The same clearance bin at Michael's had a bunch of frames.  I grabbed this one for $4 and some pretty scrapbooking paper for $0.79.  Put them together and you've got a dry erase board.  It's small, the frame is an 8x8, but it's a nice size to have beside my desk.



I didn't think I was happy with the wreath, but seeing it in pictures seems to make it better.  It was a super easy project, but a little tedious.  I already had the wreath form (I got it at a St. Vincent de Paul store for $0.50) and the yarn and buttons, so all I bought was the felt for about $2.  Not too shabby.  There is a very good chance I'll be making more of these as Christmas gifts.  Consider yourself warned.

So there you go.  Pretty productive weekend for me.

Anyone else create something from Pinterest lately?  Or are you just compulsively pinning things like I am?

No comments: