Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Cleaning out my closet (literally)

I have, at certain points in my life, been accused of being a clothes horse.  I can assure you that this is no longer the case.  I don't know if it's just the impending season change, a feeling like I should dress more "mom-like" or just a case of "what's the point, I'm never going to fit in any of these ever again anyway", but I've been getting rid of clothes like crazy.

Don't believe me?  (Mom, I'm talking to you.)  Please find my complete wardrobe inventory.  A.K.A., the most boring blog post ever.

**Updated to include further purging!**


12 10 T-shirts that I currently wear on a regular basis.  
Most of them are from TeeFury and are related to Lost.


7 3 long sleeved shirts that actually fit me.
 4 of them were bought so I could stop wearing maternity clothes after Vivian was born, so I think they're too big for me now, but it will make me too sad if I pack them up and then have to drag them out again when nothing fits me when it starts to get cooler out  I packed them up - here's hoping I don't regret it!


5 4 "good" hoodies (or "goodies", if you will)


7 pairs of jeans.  
2 pairs fit 
4 pairs can get done up, but will not be worn in public
1 pair are being kept in the vain hope that I'll be able to wear them again


1 sweater and 3 cardigans.  
Yes, 2 of the cardigans are argyle and the other is plaid.  I'm awesome like that.


5 long sleeved shirts in the "can't quite wear it yet" pile.  
I think I can get away with wearing 3 of them now though.


8 5 T-shirts in the "not quite there yet" section.  (I've tried them on and I can wear more of them than I thought!)
I think 4 of them won't be worn again, but again, there's the vain hope.


2 suits - one with just pants, one with pants and a skirt


4 non-suit skirts


3 pairs of work pants
2 pairs of work capris


1 pair of yoga pants
2 pairs of jogging pants
4 loungy pajama hoodies


5 tank tops (that don't fit yet)  I let them go, tank tops are cheap and these ones are pretty old.
10 6 pairs of shorts that I can't wear (and two pairs are board shorts, which are more of a bathing suit than clothes)


3 pairs of pajama pants
2 pairs of pajama capris
1 pajama short/running shorts (seriously)
2 pajama tank tops
9 6 lazy pajama T-shirts
1 lazy long sleeved shirt
10 camisole/under sweater tank top type things


14 12 dresses.  I had no idea I had 14 dresses


3 pairs of shorts.  These are currently what I wear every single day.


2 pairs of wedges
4 pairs of heels
4 belts


1 pair of Doc Martens from high school that I can't bear to get rid of even though I haven't worn them in 10 years.
1 pair of winter boots
1 pair of boots to wear with skirts/dresses etc.
1 pair of running shoes
1 pair of go everywhere fall shoes
1 pair of crappy camping/gardening running shoes
1 pair of sandals
8 pairs of flats (that all fit me - I checked)


1 winter coat (which is literally 10 years old.  It's a little sad)
1 plaid coat, which is vintage and handmade and I got it at a yard sale and can't let it go even though it doesn't fit right now
1 leather jacket, which I'm praying will fit this year
1 windbreaker
1 casual blazer

That's it.  Well, unless you count the 2 storage bins of maternity clothes in the basement.  Which I don't.  I think that's a pretty minimal wardrobe, what about you?  I'll admit, there's a lot of clothes (especially T-shirts) that I haven't totally gotten rid of.  Some T-shirts I just can't part with, so they've been moved to the office until I get around to giving them a new life as a pillow or a quilt or something.  They won't be coming back to my closet though, I promise!

I'm dying to get some clothes for fall, hopefully I can swing it.  What about you?  Completely overrun by clothes?  Or do you live in just the favourite stand-bys?

1 comment:

Dan Brown said...

I thought I was the only one who has "levels" of hoodies i.e. good ones for wearng out of the house and then the others only for wearing around the house!