Friday, 29 July 2011

Vivian Vendredi - Time for a Change

It's been a rough week with Vivian.  Wednesday night was pretty much the worst night ever.  She was up constantly, and went through four six-ounce bottles from 10:45 p.m. until 7:00 a.m.  Four bottles.  She usually goes through about four bottles all day.  It's getting ridiculous.  She's an almost eight-month old newborn.  A good night with her is only waking up every three to four hours.  A bad night is waking up every hour or two.

After nearly eight months of this, it's getting a little exhausting.  It's not good for me, and it's not good for her either.

So, yesterday we went for our first appointment with a homeopath.  We're seeing Amanda, a friend from when I worked at the group home after university.  You can check her out here if you're interested.  I know that this is not something that everyone would want to try, but I'm ready to try anything.  The doctor says there's nothing wrong with her, but there is definitely something bothering her enough to make her not sleep.  I really think it's a few small things working together (like the fact that she's so super alert, she has a hard time relaxing, possible digestive issues, and very strong control issues) that are causing a much larger problem, and homepathy seems to look at the whole person, and not just one issue.  I'm very hopeful that it will be the start of getting Vivian to sleep.

I'm not looking for a baby that sleeps 12 hours a night.  I don't need that.  If she needs to wake up to eat, I'm here to feed her.  But waking up to eat five, six, seven times through the night?  That's not going to happen.

So, here we are.  We start homeopathic remedies with her tomorrow.  Hopefully the combination of that with the probiotics she's already taking will get us somewhere!

2 comments:

Jill said...

My goodness Ashlie I sure hope Amanda can help Vivian! You really need to get some rest. I know with Rusty as soon as he got off the bottle he was much better - it seemed that he just got so much gas from the bottle - but they are all different. I truly hope you find something that works for you. Hang in there.

Kate said...

You poor girl! After 19 days of waking up anywhere from 3.5-1 hour every night I don't know how you have survived for 8 months! I hope you solve your problems!