Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Starting to feel like myself again

Something exciting is happening.  Last month, my mom and I joined Weight Watchers.  I was feeling pretty sick and tired of not fitting into anything anymore, and really wanted to pack away all of my maternity clothes, so I was willing to give it a shot.

If you haven't done Weight Watchers in a while, apparently it's all changed.  Seriously, this shit is easy.  When I started, I thought it was going to be super hard to look up everything that I eat and keep track of things, but honestly, you get the hang of it super quick.  Plus, you get to eat as many fruits and veggies as you want.

So far, I've lost about 13 pounds.  I say "about" because I weighed myself at home on the Wii fit today instead of going to WW, so the numbers are a little different.  The point is, the numbers are still getting smaller and smaller.

It's interesting to me, because I've never really dieted before.  I've always been the "I'll eat whatever I want and just work out so I don't gain weight" kind of person.  That isn't working anymore.  Honestly, I think my problem was that I wasn't eating enough.  There were seriously days where I would go all day without eating because Vivian just took up so much time.  That was also when I was still breast feeding, so I think my body was kind of going into a starvation mode thing and just keeping whatever weight it could to keep me going.  Once I started actually eating three meals a day, I started to lose - imagine that!

Things that have helped me - first and foremost, I stopped breast feeding.  Not because I wanted to lose weight, but because Vivian decided she was done with the whole breast feeding thing.  It was sad for me, but good for her.  And because of that, I look a little more like a normal human being, and not someone who is carrying two gallons of milk around her neck.

Another thing that helped?  Vivian started eating food.  Now that Vivian sits down to eat three times a day, I also sit down to eat three times a day.  And because she likes to eat finger foods instead of me feeding her purees, I actually have time to eat a meal.

Writing things down.  I knew that this would hook me on Weight Watchers.  I've had personal success with food journaling, and it makes a huge difference for me to be able to sit down and look at what I've eaten over the course of the day.  For me it really stops me from drinking my calories too.  I love me some McDonalds iced coffee (and it's only a dollar!  All summer!) but those things are 6 points each.  I get 32 points a day.  Iced coffees become treats instead of usual morning drinks.

So, here I am.  I can actually wear a pair of jeans that I owned pre-Vivian (mind you, they used to be my crappy, one-size too big, I'll just wear these to go camping/gardening jeans, and they are now the nicest jeans I own.) and I think it won't be long before I'm back in some of my favourite clothes.  I would still like to lose about another 20 pounds to get back to where I used to be, and hopefully I can get back into running to get myself down to that point (or somewhere close to that point).  I know things will never go back to the way it used to be, but if I can at least feel a little more like the person I used to be, that would be awesome.

Got any tips or tricks for me to stay on the right track?  And no, I don't want to hear your stories about how you lost all the baby weight in two weeks without even trying.

1 comment:

PMAC said...

Ashlie, that is amazing! You should be really proud of yourself! Keep it up!!!