Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Gossip bench reformed!


Remember my funny little gossip bench?  I can't find a before picture on my computer anymore, but you can check it out here if you'd like.  I finally got around to recovering it!

It was my first attempt at reupholstering something (if you can even call it that) so it's definitely not a perfect pro job, but I'm pretty happy with the result.


I just used one of Jagger's old shirts (it's an old polo shirt from Penguin).  I cut it along the seams so I had some nice pieces to work with, pulled the old staples out with needle nosed pliers and then just used a staple gun to cover it with the new fabric.

It was a little tricky for a couple of reasons.  One, there are exposed seams.  I didn't really think about this until I was in the middle of it, but because of how the back cushion and armrest are, there's no real bottom to them.  The seat was easy, because you just pull the fabric and staple it down, and it doesn't really matter what the bottom looks like.  The other pieces were more difficult, and if you look closely you can see the seams on them.  Also, because of the striped pattern, it was hard to wrap the edges while keeping the lines straight.

I didn't pull the fabric very taught when I was stapling it because it's a jersey fabric.  I figured if I pulled it really tight, it would stretch and distort the stripes too much.  Because of that, it's a little loose, especially on the seat.


I figure it's okay though, since it's not exactly a seat that gets used all the time.  In the pictures here, I was using it as a bedside table, but I want to move it out to the living room by the front door.  I don't mind that it's not a perfect job, since it basically cost me nothing.  The only real cost was the staple gun, and I needed one of those anyway (and I got it on sale at Canadian Tire for $14 - not a huge investment)

I have a bunch of other around the house projects that I've been meaning to get to (most of them involve a can of chalkboard paint - I blame Pinterest) and hopefully I'll be able to get to some of them soon, especially if this heat wave continues - we definitely won't be doing much outside in this heat!

Have you been up to any simple switcheroos at your place lately?

1 comment:

Joan Crawford said...

Aw, I love it! Your gossip table is way cuter than mine. Not only does mine have awful, depressing, scruffy upholstery - it has this ugly, stylized flower print in the wood. We got it from my husband's grandma... he's a horrible packrat. I keep the Damn Thing in the basement for holding laundry I need to fold. Gah! You and Pintrest! Every time I go there I get the panicky feeling I have at Etsy. You can only go to those places on a specific mission or you get sucked into the Vortex of Choice. My next project is to get A portrait of Henry VIII surrounded by a circle of portraits of his wives for the guest bathroom! I have been thinking of this for like, a year at least... I'm not as peppy as you :D