Monday, 30 May 2011

Fall TV 2011

This year I've been paying particular attention to upfronts week and what new pilots are being picked up by the networks.  It seems like every year I find more and more new shows that I at least want to check out once or twice to see how they are.  This coming fall seems extra busy - it seems like every new show sounds promising!  Here are the shows that I'm looking forward to most - my DVR had better be ready to handle it.

  • 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - I'm excited about this one because Kat Dennings is in it, and I think she's pretty awesome.
  • Alcatraz (FOX) - I love Alcatraz.  I love JJ Abrams.  I love Jorge Garcia.  This show has all of those things.  (This one isn't on until midseason though)
  • Allen Gregory (FOX) - This one is animated, which can be either really good or really bad I think.  Jonah Hill created it and lends his voice to this show though, so hopefully it's entertaining.
  • Apartment 23 (ABC) - James Van Der Beek seems to be on his way to becoming the next Neil Patrick Harris with his recent internet videos lampooning himself, and he is continuing that trend with this new show.  (Midseason)
  • Awake (NBC) - They're saying this one is "Inception-like" which kind of sounds like it's just going to be confusing.  I'll give it a chance though.  (Midseason)
  • Bent (NBC) - Amanda Peet and Jeffrey Tambour are in this, which is enough for me to check it out.  The way NBC's recent track record has been make me incredibly wary of all their new offerings though.  (Midseason)
  • Charlie's Angels (ABC) - They are hyping this show hardcore.  I've seen the sneak peek, and it looks like it might be fun.  It might get old after a few episodes though, I'm not sure.
  • A Gifted Man (CBS) - Patrick Wilson is in this.  That's enough for me to check it out.
  • Good Christian Belles (ABC) - I'm not so sure about this one, I feel like it might be too soapy for me.  I think I might have liked it better had they stuck with the original title of "Good Christian Bitches".  Kristin Chenoweth is in it though, so I'll tune in.
  • Grimm (NBC) - One of two fairy tale themed shows.  I'm not as excited about this one as Once Upon a Time, but I'll give it a shot.
  • Napoleon Dynamite (FOX) - Yep, Napoleon Dynamite is going to be coming to you weekly in animated form.  Watch it with your liger.  (Midseason)
  • New Girl (FOX) - Zooey Deschanel stars in this.  That's enough for me to sign up!
  • Once Upon a Time (ABC) - The other fairy tale show.  This one has LOST producers behind it, and stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White.
  • Pan Am (ABC) - One of two shows that are set in the '60s to help me get through until the next season of Mad Men.  Stars Christina Ricci.
  • Person of Interest (CBS) - Michael Emerson stars in this JJ Abrams show.  Yep, I'll be watching.  Also stars Jesus - I mean, Jim Caviezel.
  • The Playboy Club (NBC) - The other swinging '60s show.  This is probably the NBC show that I'm most excited about.
  • Ringer (The CW) - Sarah Michelle Gellar's much-anticipated new show.  I wasn't a Buffy watcher (I know, I know.  I'll watch it eventually) so I'm anxious to check out this one from the ground floor.
  • The River (ABC) - I'm really excited about this one.  It's a horror drama from Oren Peli (the writer/director of Paranormal Activity).  I think it sounds like a really fresh idea (a family attempts to rescue their missing father from the Amazon - very Heart of Darkness, no?) and should make for addictive TV.  (Midseason)
  • Scandal (ABC) - Desmond from LOST is in this.  That's all I need to know.  (Midseason)
  • Smash (NBC) - They're calling this a "grown-up Glee" (Glee's not for grown-ups?) and it stars Debra Messing.  I love Debra Messing, but it also stars Katharine McPhee.  Not such a fan of hers.  Jagger enjoys her though, so I'm sure we'll be tuning in.  (Midseason)
  • Suburgatory (ABC) - I hate the title, but Cheryl Hines is in it, so I'll give it a go.
  • Terra Nova (FOX) - Time travel and dinosaurs!  I'm not so sure if this is one I'll keep up with, but I feel like I won't want to miss the pilot.
  • Up All Night (NBC) - Forget what I said earlier.  This is the NBC show I'm most excited about.  It stars Maya Rudolph, Christina Applegate and Will Arnett.  Beyond that, the story sounds pretty basic (it seems to be your basic wacky family sitcom) but that is one great cast.
  • Work It (ABC) - It's the new bosom buddies!  (Midseason)
Yeah, that's a lot of TV.  Now, most of this is totally based on just reading a brief synopsis and seeing who the cast is.  I have watched very few preview videos (mostly because Hulu can't be viewed in Canada, dammit) so I'm sure that this list will dwindle down as the weeks go by, or more will be added as I get a look at some of the other shows coming our way!

Any new shows you're excited about?

5 comments:

Eleven's Ink said...

So many midseasons?!! What happened to giving a show ONE whole season to give it a try eh? lol. Well, at leats they're prepared for the eventuality!!

James Van Der Douche!!

So many big name stars!! Jim Caviezel, Sam Neil;, Christina Ricci, AMANDA PEET!! :) :)

Lots o' LOST actors !! :)

Joan Crawford said...

God I need some new and good TV! My head is going to explode because True Blood season 3 comes out on dvd TOMORROW!!! I have been waiting a year!

ashlie said...

@Kevin - I think a lot of networks are going the continuous run route, with no repeats so they have room for midseason replacements. Either way, I can't wait to check out those midseasons!

@Joan - I KNOW! I can't wait for Season 3 - I haven't seen it yet...still have to convince the hubby to get HBO for the summer so I can watch Season 4 as it happens!

Dan Brown said...

I predict Up All Night is the sleeper here, a la 30 Rock. At least that's the hope. The premise sounds totally unoriginal, but you can't deny the talent.

Joan Crawford said...

I had to post on this old thread just to tell you - I actually convinced my husband that we had to have HBO. And do you know what else?! I have HBO on demand - it's included with my package and I can watch any episode whenever I want!!! How did I ever live before?