Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Did you know this could happen?

I was cooking dinner last night when, for whatever reason, I decided to move my bottle of balsamic vinegar.  I'd been storing it on top of the fridge (I think it was too tall to fit in the pantry) and thought I would try to find a new home for it so I could de-clutter the top of the fridge a bit.

Apparently, my balsamic vinegar was having a problem.

When I picked it up, I noticed the vinegar wasn't moving in the bottle.  I turned it upside down and shook it, and it wasn't moving.  It looked totally solid.

I started running hot water into it, thinking it was hard and crusted or something, and was surprised to see that it was actually a thick, jelly like skin that was on the top of the vinegar.  I managed to get through it with the hot water and got the rest of the liquid vinegar out, but then I was left with some of the globby disgustingness stuck in the bottle.

I managed to get most of it out, but it was so, so gross.  It smelled so badly, and it was just the weirdest, grossest texture.

Have you ever had this happen?  Is there some universal knowledge on where to store vinegar that I don't know about?



3 comments:

Eleven's Ink said...

hmmmzz...totally weird. It could be the heat of the fridge but then again, my bottle of balsamic vinegar is between my stove and my wine rack which is pretty warm there, especially on a friday night lol. Never had black tar come out of it. Interesting. If you ever do find out what it is (you should send an e-mail to Rachael Ray lol) let me know k :)

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

gross. I've never seen that happen with our balsamic

Alicia said...

That certainly looks foul! Vinegar is a wine derivative though, so it makes sense that evaporation may occur and result it something that looks..um...ya, I won't describe it! Here, check out this link for ideas on how to store things like this next time: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/food-storage-tips3.htm