Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Thrifty Finds

I got out to Value Village and Talize the other day and came back with some pretty cool finds.  I'd like to start making a point of stopping in and checking things out more frequently, but it's hard now that I'm not in London every day.  There are a couple of interesting thrift stores in Strathroy that I haven't checked out yet, but I'm hopeful that they will yield some good finds!

Here's what I picked up this time at Value Village.  Now, I tend to find Value Village to be a little pricey (I know, I'm possibly the cheapest person ever).

I picked up a couple of frames to add to my gallery wall.  They were $2 and $3 respectively.






See, I think that's a little costly for thrift store frames.  I thought they had some interesting character to them though.  Of course I promptly broke the glass on the wooden one as soon as I got it home.

I found these great old Diet Pepsi glasses.  There was a set of six, but I not only don't have room for six new glasses, but they were also priced at $2 each.  EACH!  I only picked up two, one for Jagger and one for me.  We're pretty big Diet Pepsi enthusiasts.



My last Value Village find was this little chair.  They didn't have much in the way of furniture, but I spotted this little guy and told myself if he was less than $10, I would have to bring him home.  Luckily for me, it was $7.



I assume it's a chair that once went with a sewing table, since it's just a little shorter than the stool at my sewing machine table.  It has a nice deep storage area to it, and I love the colour.  Of course the cats claimed it as their own the second it came into the house.

I got less at Talize, but I'm more excited about my finds there.  I love Talize for housewares, I've had some really good luck there, and I find their prices are better than Value Village.

Have I mentioned that I have a thing for vintage office furniture?  If I haven't, I'll tell you now.  I love vintage office stuff.  It's just so old and Mad Men-y.

This little card box was $2.  I'm not sure what to use it for yet, but I'm so happy with it.


This was my jewel though, my favourite find.  Not only is it an awesome vintage piece in an awesome colour, but it was also only $2.  A no-brainer.



Right now it's being used to house our comics that need to be read.  Sure it's a bit cumbersome, but you can't beat that colour!

Have you had any luck thrifting lately?  I can't wait for those summer yard sales!

4 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

I know, "Value" Village is quite pricey, right? I really debated over buying my friend this hideously awesome wall hanging there this past X-Mas. It was 8 dollars! But I had to get it; it was home-painted ceramic figure of a deranged male ballerina leaping through the air and he was wearing a woman's ballet outfit. And he had a pirate mask on. I know!
I love your Wall of Art! Where did you get that drawing of Locke and was he your favorite character*?


*I miss Lost badly... I am rewatching it, on Season 2 as we speak.

ashlie said...

That wall hanging sounds like it was totally worth the $8! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who stands in Value Village thinking that things are expensive! I got the Locke print at the Toronto Fan Expo last summer - it was $10 and totally worth it. I don't think you can tell in the picture, but there's no glass in the frame. I'm not terribly careful when I hang things, so he fell off the wall as soon as I finished hanging him up and the glass shattered. Awesome. Actually, Locke wasn't my favourite character, but the seller only had Locke, no other characters. You know if there had been a Sayid print, I would have been all over that like a fat kid on cake!

Eleven's Ink said...

You have to be careful at Value Village, they do tend to overprice items especially houseware, which you can sometimes get newer at the dollarstore for less money. However, vintage pieces are popular (ups the value) and they were made to last (ups the value).

But i'm the same, addicted to that place lol.

ashlie said...

Oh, I know! I find it funny when I see things from IKEA at Value Village that are way over priced. For example, on that trip I saw a brand new wok from IKEA - still had the packaging on it. They had it priced at $12.99. Uh, yeah, you can get that new at IKEA for $6. Rip off!

Not to worry though - I went to my local St. Vincent de Paul store today and LOVED IT! It's pretty awesome, and very reasonably priced! Got another frame for the wall for $0.50 - that's what I'm talking about!