Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Extreme Couponing

Have you watched Extreme Couponing on TLC yet?  If you have, you're probably either hooked on the idea, or you think they're just organized hoarders.

I first heard about the trend of extreme couponing from reading this article on Offbeat Mama some time ago.  It sounded interesting, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it just from reading about it.  It seemed crazy.

Truth is, it is crazy.  Crazy awesome.  Once I saw the TLC special back in January, I was hooked.  I love the idea of couponing, and it's absolutely amazing what these people can pull off.  Call them hoarders, call them selfish, I don't care.  I think it's awesome.  It's even more awesome when they show extreme couponers that do give back by using their skills to donate items to various charities.

Yes, some of them have come under fire for stockpiling things that they don't need.  Two instances in particular are someone who stockpiled diapers and didn't have children and someone who stockpiled cat treats and didn't have a cat.  Sure, it might seem crazy, but the fact is that diapers don't expire (and I would totally do the same if I was getting them for free like she was!) and one of the very important aspects of couponing is that sometimes you have to stock up on items you don't need because it can make you money, which offsets the entire bill for items that you may not have coupons for.

I love the idea of extreme couponing, and I definitely think that I would put in the time and effort that it takes to do it.  Maybe not to the extremes that these people do, but I would put in the effort, even if only to stock up on laundry detergent or something.  The fact is though, I just don't think that you could coupon to that extent here in Canada.  Correct me if I'm wrong (please, do!) but I don't know of any stores that double or triple coupons, and we just don't get the sale prices that they seem to get in the States.  I know a lot of people who do their grocery shopping in the States to save some money, so maybe planning a monthly trip across the border would be an option for us.  For now though, I'll keep watching the show and clipping my own little coupons - every little bit helps.

No comments: