Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Driving Tunes

I have a habit of bringing CDs into my car and leaving them in there for years at a time.  It drives Jagger a little crazy because he's the total opposite - he brings two or three CDs in his car at a time and listens to them, then switches them out for something new.  It's a good system I suppose, but I prefer to have a few standbys.

Most of the CDs in my car are mixes, but there are a few actual albums that have been living in my car for ages and I always reach for when I need a good soundtrack for a drive somewhere.

  • Anything by "Say Anything".  "Say Anything" is probably my favourite band.  There's just something about them that I find so easy to listen to.  The lyrics are clever and the songs are always catchy.  In my car I keep the following albums - "In Defense of the Genre" discs 1 and 2, "Baseball", "...was a Real Boy" and their self-titled album.  Honestly, when a new Say Anything album comes out, I listen to it constantly for months on end.  I should actually cave in and take these out of my car, because half of the discs don't even work anymore because I've listened to them too much.  Thank goodness for backing things up on iTunes!
  • Gwen Stefani, "Love Angel Music Baby" and "The Sweet Escape".  In general, I don't like female singers.  I've never been a big fan of them for some reason.  I do love me some Gwen though.  These usually get pulled out in the summer when I just want something fun and something I can crank up for a drive with my sunroof open while I sing at the top of my lungs.
  • Jimmy Eat World, "Chase this Light" and "Invented".  I love Jimmy Eat World, and while these aren't my favourite albums of theirs (I love, love, love Bleed American) they have found their way into my car and aren't likely to leave it any time soon.  Jimmy Eat World are associated with the fall for me.  Something about the weather getting cooler makes me want to listen to these albums and just enjoy those beautiful clear fall days.
  • Gorillaz, "Demon Days".  Another album that I bust out when the weather is warm and I want to listen to something loud with the windows down.  I don't pull this one out often, but when I do, it's totally worth it.
  • Modest Mouse, "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank".  There was once a time when I had way too many CDs in my car.  Like way, way too many.  It drove Jagger crazy and he took it upon himself to trim down the collection.  For some reason, this one remained in the car.  I think it was a new album at the time.  It's not one that I listen to often, but it's in there all the same.
  • Cold War Kids - "Robbers and Cowards".  One of my all-time favourite albums.  This is the perfect driving soundtrack - it's great for early morning quiet drives, late night after concert drives and every drive in between.  This is also my favourite atmosphere album, the perfect background noise for a group of people hanging out.  If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend you check it out.
That's basically it, except for the burned mixes like I said.  Maybe one day I'll do a post on those, if the time calls for it.

1 comment:

Eleven's Ink said...

It's true about JEW, it is very fall-ish music. And Modest Mouse rooooooock!! Bukowski!! :)