I've managed to make a little progress in the basement. It's not much, but I did get it cleaned up a bit.
I really lucked out that the piece of remnant carpet in the spare room in the basement perfectly fits the living area in the basement. It's too bad that I painted furniture on it, but it's okay for what our purposes are for now.
Nothing terribly impressive, but you get a better idea of how big the space is now that the piles of books are gone. I'm hoping to make some more progress in the next couple of weeks, so there should be something new to show you very soon.
And yes, I have an excessive amount of tables. I have a little project in mind for a couple of them, so hopefully I'll be able to share that soon too!