Friday, 25 March 2011

Vivian Vendredi - Turned a corner?

Last weekend was rough.  Vivian decided she only wanted to sleep in bed with me, which led to me trying to put her back in her own bed four or five times a night, only to end up with her back in bed with me.  We were both exhausted, she was crabby beyond belief and I was starting to think I was losing it.

My mom suggested that I try just giving in to her.  Let her sleep all night beside me if that's what she wants, let her nap on me if that's what she wants.  Just get some sleep.  So, we spent a couple of days sleeping on the bed in the office together and things seemed to get better. 

Then on Wednesday she spent the whole day at my mom's.  She was a totally different baby when I got back.  Mom thinks Vivian just all of a sudden realized that there are other people in the world than me, and it's okay if I'm not there.  She was napping, she was playing, she was happy. 

Since then things have been going really well.  She's been napping on her own (!!) sleeping better at night (!!!) and taking more formula from a bottle.  I'm not so sure how I feel about the last one.  It seems like she needs it though, so maybe I'm just not enough for her right now.  I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding altogether, but we're definitely giving her a few bottles a day to help get it through and it really seems to be making a difference.

Did the day at mom's change her for the better, or was she just on the verge of turning this corner anyway?  I'm not sure what the real answer is, but I'll take this happy baby over the crabby apple she was last weekend anyday.

1 comment:

Eleven's Ink said...

that picture of her is too cute!! Glad to hear that everything is good, she looks healthy!! :D