Friday, 11 March 2011

Vivian Vendredi - Big Week

This has been a pretty big week for little Vivian.

On Sunday she rolled from her belly to her back.  Of course, she hasn't done it again since and there's no video proof of this.

On Tuesday she turned three months old.

On Wednesday she giggled for the first time and got some upgraded sleeping arrangements.  She had outgrown her little bassinet and had to be moved up to her bassinet in the play pen.

She's had a busy week.

It's so funny to see how quickly she changes - and how suddenly she'll do something new.  It really does help to make up for all those long days and nights I have with her.

This has been a bit of a rough week for me.  The weather's been crappy, I'm brokety broke broke broke, there's so much that I want to do but Vivian continues to be her challenging self.  Last weekend she seemed to be having a growth spurt - eating every 2-3 hours during the day, waking up every 3 hours at night.  It was like having a newborn again.  She also still needs constant interaction.  She's not happy to just play on the floor with some toys, she wants me to hold her and play with her.  She always wants to talk to me, stare at me, climb on me.  It's nice, but exhausting.  I feel terrible, but I often have to just put her down and let her scream so I can get something, anything accomplished.  She's not one to "cry it out" either - she'll scream and scream and scream for 15, 20 minutes with no signs of slowing down before I give in and pick her up again.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a rough week.

But then she giggled.

Totally out of the blue, while we were playing on the couch, she just giggled at me.

And suddenly, things seemed better.

5 comments:

serviceiscentral said...

My brother was like that (apparently). My mum just pretty much kept him in the baby backpack (what are those things called?) the kind that goes on the front. He pretty much just lived in it. maybe that would help?

Mum was actually really disappointed when I refused to be put in one, let alone sleep in one. I guess she had to transport me from room to room instead of just living with me attached to her stomach.

Sylvia

Paula D. said...

Luke is doing the same thing this week-not wanting to be put down, always wanting to be held. I've been transferring him from his play-mat to his swing to the jolly jumper to his vibrating chair and each time he starts wailing. I've run out of patience, especially by the end of the day. He's also waking up more during the night...growth spurt maybe?
I know you've had it so much harder than me...I hope it gets better soon for you! Happy friday. Stupid winter.

ashlie said...

Oh yeah, Sylvia, Vivian spends lots of time in her sling or baby carrier. I often cook dinner with her strapped to me. I keep saying she had better turn out to be a famous chef for all the time she spends "helping" in the kitchen!

Paula, Luke is doing it too? I swear these babies conspire against us! The other day I put her on the floor to play while I stood in front of her and folded laundry and she screamed the whole time! I was just like "I'm right here! You can see me! I'm not going anywhere!" Didn't matter. She's screaming in my lap right now because I'm paying more attention to the computer than her!

Paula D said...

I now know what they were talking about when they say sometimes you'll just have to put them down and walk away because you'll go insane trying to sooth them. I'm exaughsted by the end of the day but now he sleeps soooo much longer if I hold him in the rocking chair so I can't get a proper nap. Crap. I hope this is a phase....

ashlie said...

We do the same thing here, Paula! If I hold her, she'll sleep for a couple of hours. If I put her down, she sleeps for maybe 45 minutes, then I have to start all over again with feeding her, entertaining her, settling her down. The only way to get a break is just to give in and let her sleep on me! The last two nights she's been sleeping in bed with us too, because after an hour and a half of trying to settle her down in the middle of the night, I just give in! Bad habits, I know!