Tuesday, 1 March 2011

From House to Home

A year ago today, I held the key for our house in my hand for the first time.  It's hard to believe that it's been a year already, especially when you consider how little work we've done on the house so far.  Like so many things, it's so easy to get caught up in wanting the best and overextending yourself.  Sure when we moved in I had grand plans for finishing the house in the way we wanted it, and sure I would love to have furniture that matches and is actually new and not secondhand, but we're just not there yet.  Two weeks after moving in to our house, we found out that we would soon have someone new living here.  That definitely changed our plans for what we would be able to do with the house.

I know a lot of people wouldn't find our house appealing.  It's not huge, it doesn't have that modern open concept thing going for it.

 Our living room has too much furniture in it (we're couch people!)...

 Our kitchen table has only been eaten at once, and the dishwasher is broken...

 The office is composed almost entirely of free furniture...

 Vivian's room isn't exactly a room for a little princess..


Our bed is never made...

 The bathroom desperately needs a new shower curtain liner...

 And the basement...

Well, the basement just kind of is.



But that's all so temporary.  We're planning on being in this house for a very long time.  So I'm okay with things being not so perfect.  Sure, I still watch HGTV compulsively (I think Sarah 101 is recording as I write this) and I still have a giant binder full of house ideas for the future, but I'm not hung up on it. 

We have a roof over our heads that doesn't leak and a home we can be proud of.  This is going to be the home where Vivian will take her first steps.  The driveway where she'll learn how to ride a bike.  The backyard that's just begging for a dog.  The office that will one day be a room for our second child.  I'm willing to overlook the temporary imperfections for now.

And that's okay.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hey Ash,
You're making me not feel so bad about our apartment! Right now we have a queen bed, crib, dresser and bookshelf wedged into what's supposed to be the baby room. We have way too much furniture too - two couches in our small living room. Regardless of it not looking like a magazine, it's comfy and we love it! Looks like your house is very comfy and lovable too! That's what matters at this point, right?! I can't believe it's been a year though.

ashlie said...

Whatever works! I'd love to paint some rooms while I'm on maternity leave, but for the most part, this is what we're going to be living with for a while! If you're anything like me, you'll just take care of the baby wherever you are - I never bother with a change table or anything like that - the couch works just fine!

Eleven's Ink said...

I actually like your living room the colours are really nice and the floor is awesome. It looks charming. And it's a first house and you guys are still young, it looks very much like a young couple's house. And hey, key word: house. I would love to be a homeowner!!