Monday, 3 January 2011

BLT Pasta

I mentioned this recipe before and there was some interest in it, so I documented it while I cooked the other night!

I got this recipe from my friend Kelly, but have made some modifications to it every time I cook it.  It's super easy and makes lots really easily, so it's awesome for crowds.  It also reheats really well, so it's great leftovers for lunches!

BLT Pasta

1 pound of bacon
Pasta (I usually use whole wheat penne)
Cherry tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes
Green onions
Shredded cheese
Baby spinach

Start out by boiling your water for your pasta while you cook the bacon.  I usually use a whole box of pasta because I have no idea how to measure out a proper amount.  I also don't believe in cooking less than a pound of bacon at a time, so cut up your pound of bacon into smallish pieces and cook in a large skillet.


You want to let the bacon cook in the grease until it almost deep fries itself and gets nice and golden and crispy...


While the bacon is cooking and the pasta is boiling, chop up your green onions and grate your cheese.  I don't measure the cheese, but it's usually about a cup and a half.  Just do however much you want though.  Don't forget the cheese - I almost always forget it until the very end.

Once the bacon is cooked, scoop out some of the bacon grease and reserve it.  I usually take out about half of it and just keep it in a mug.  You'll want it later!

Add your green onions to the bacon and grease and let them cook up a bit.


Once your onions have cooked through (and your kitchen should be smelling awesome right about now) add the can of stewed tomatoes and let it cook until it's heated through and starts to simmer.


I hope you've drained your pasta by now.  If not, drain your pasta and put it back in the pot (use a big one so you can mix everything together in it.)  Cover the pasta with your spinach.  I usually use a whole bag of baby spinach - probably about 4 cups.  It seems like a lot, but it cooks down to practically nothing, and it's good to get your vegetables in there.  Also, throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes to mix in, however many you want.

Pour your bacon/tomato mixture down over your pasta/cherry tomato/spinach in the large pot.  Mix it together.  As the hot tomato mixture mixes in, it will cook down your spinach.  If you find you need more to cover it, add your reserved bacon grease as required.  (I know it sounds crazy, but it adds soooo much flavour!)


Once you've mixed it up a bit, throw in your shredded cheese and mix that in too.  Like I said, I usually forget this part.  Use any kind of cheese you want - I usually use marble.


Once your shredded cheese is mixed in and melted, just serve your pasta!


I usually serve it with some crusty bread.  It's awesome.


So there you go.  This is why I don't often post my own recipes, because I don't really use measurements for the things I cook often.  Trust me though, this turns out awesome - the stewed tomatoes help to make a sauce and the cherry tomatoes turn into little yummy flavour bombs.  Let me know how it turns out if you ever try it!

1 comment:

Eleven's Ink said...

I will most def be making this recipe!!! it looks deeeelicious. Pasta+Bacon+Cheese=YUMMY!!

Thanks for the share!