Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Leftover Management

I hope everyone had a great holiday filled with lots of goodies!

I'm a big leftovers fan.  I'm incapable of cooking the right amount of food for just two people, so we usually end up with enough leftovers to feed a small army.  The tricky part about leftovers is making sure they don't get eaten when they've gone bad.

I have a habit of realizing that something should be thrown out, but leaving it in the fridge until the night before garbage pickup, then cleaning out the whole fridge and tossing everything.  This is especially effective in the summer when you don't want a bunch of rotting food sitting in a hot garage.  This habit leads to a lot of fun conversations between Jagger and I.

Jagger grabs some container of food out of the fridge.
Me - Uh, I wouldn't eat that.  It's like a week old.
Jagger - Then why is it in the fridge?
Me - I'm just keeping it good until I throw it out.

It makes sense, don't argue with me. 

I'm not the only one who does this.  I also happen to know that my friend Amanda uses this same method with her husband.  Nothing like being warned not to eat that sour cream in the fridge because it's bad.

Does this make sense to you?  Or are you more of a toss it before it spoils kind of person?  Let me know - I'm off to eat some pumpkin pie for breakfast.

4 comments:

Eleven's Ink said...

lol. I do the same, sometimes, I even freeze some bad food haha...

Aunt Jill said...

We have this system too!
Things tend to run amok when the kids tear into leftovers when they come home late at night. You are not close by to say "hey I wouldn't do that if I were you" I have actually written notes to stick on bad stuff that is waiting for garbage day.

Jaclyn Goodwillie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaclyn Goodwillie said...

Wow. Very interesting. I can't believe I'm breaking a consensus here. I DO NOT use that method. When the garbage is very full and I am too lazy to empty it, I may hold onto something I know has gone bad for another day. But then I end up throwing the leftovers into the fresh garbage, and that sucks. But I don't really find that happening often.

I find myself most often needing room in the fridge and throwing out any week old leftovers at that point. I guess I'm also pretty particular about trying to eat all of my leftovers. Leftovers only go bad in my fridge when they get lost in there.