Friday, 5 November 2010

Remember, remember

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Today is Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night/The Fifth of November.  Even though it's not something that is generally celebrated in Canada (even though we are still sovereign) I choose to celebrate it in a very particular way.

By watching "V for Vendetta".


It might not be the most historically accurate way of celebrating the day, and it might not involve fireworks, but a date with the hubby and a can of Dr. Pepper to watch V for Vendetta on Blu-Ray sounds like a pretty great Friday night to me.

If you haven't seen V for Vendetta yet, I highly recommend it, if only to listen to Hugo Weaving speak for a couple of hours.  I heart Hugo Weaving so much.

This year I'll also be watching V for Vendetta with my new (to me) first edition issues of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta.  I just bought them (and a whack of other comics) off a coworker last week and I can't wait to read them. 

Not familiar with old Alan Moore?  Well, you should be.  If you're looking for some stunning graphic novels to read, I would definitely recommend his stuff.  Check it out here if you're in a shopping kind of mood.  I mean, the man is responsible for Watchmen and Killing Joke, and it doesn't get much better than that if you ask me.

Of course, Alan Moore wouldn't approve of us watching V for Vendetta since he distances himself from any adaptations of his work.

Check it out - you'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

Falen (Sarah Ahiers) said...

man, every time Nov 5th rolls around i want to watch it. SO. GOOD.