Monday, 22 November 2010

Packing it in

I'm 39 weeks and change now, but I've been dragging my heels on packing up that hospital bag.  I don't know why it's been such a source of procrastination for me, but for some reason I just have no desire to have that bag ready.  At first I wasn't planning on packing a bag, assuming that I would just pack things up once labour started.  We only live 3 kms away from the hospital, so I'm planning on staying at home for as long as possible once things start happening.  But then I thought better, and realized that it will be much easier on myself if I just suck it up and start packing that bag ahead of time like a normal person.  Otherwise, Jagger will just have to deal with my whining and complaining in the hospital because I've forgotten something vital.

There's no shortage of lists and websites to give you an idea of what you should pack in a hospital bag, but I tried not to get too hung up on them.  Because we're so close to the hospital, I'm not anticipating being in there long.  Same goes for Jagger's bag (the Jag Bag).  Because we're so close to home, it won't be a big deal for him to run home to grab a shower if he wants.

That being said, here's what I've come up with...


Yes, my suitcase is covered in cat hair, as are most things that I own.
  • Comfy jammies.  Really, they're just Jagger's old T-shirts and a couple of pairs of jogging pants, but it should be fine.  I may pick up a pair of nursing pajamas this week still though.
  • Slippers.  But not my good slippers, my back-up pair of slippers (what, you don't have a back-up pair?)  I'm really attached to my slippers, and I would hate for them to get all icky from anything that may happen.
  • Toiletries.  The usual stuff, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, mini shampoo, etc.  I just bought one of those little travel bags from Walmart that has everything in it already.  I also threw in a bunch of good heavy-duty hair elastics to keep my hair out of my face.
  • Lots of socks and underwear
  • Stuff for the baby.  I don't like the little robe things they give babies to wear in the hospital.  Blair hated hers, it was too scratchy.  So, I've packed a couple of sleeping gowns as well as a coming home from the hospital outfit.  I also picked up this super adorable kimono thing that I'll be posting about a bit later.  Also, baby socks, mitts, hats and blankets.  And the car seat, of course.
  • Nursing pillow.  The hospital recommended that I bring my own, because they only have one and it would suck if I had to wait around for my turn.
  • All sorts of fun absorbant things.  You know, breast pads, regular pads, all that fun stuff that you don't want to hear about.
  • A hoodie, just in case it's cold in the hospital/for leaving the hospital.
  • Soft sport bra-y type things.
  • Jolly Ranchers.  The prenatal class recommended we pack some hard candies to suck on, and I loves me some Jolly Ranchers.
  • Camera and charger for the camera.
  • The handbook from the prenatal class, more for Jagger's sake if he wants to look up some of the things he's "supposed" to be doing.
I will pack...
  • An iPod (hopefully).  I have the speakers packed, but my iPod decided that now was a wonderful time to die.  If I can, I might try to pick up a shuffle or something, we'll see.
Hopefully I will not be packing Jagger's bag for him.  I think he can handle the task on his own.

I've decided against bringing a blow dryer, because I don't blow dry my hair on the best of days, so I doubt I will in the hospital. 

I'm sure I'm overthinking things and once things get going, I really won't care what I do and don't have in my suitcase, but it's a nice task to have right now to keep me occupied as my days at work wind down.

What do you think?  Anything major I'm forgetting?

5 comments:

Jaclyn Goodwillie said...

Some calming essential oils would probably be nice to have. Of course not candles, maybe just a bottle for smelling or dabbing. The smell in hospitals can be not so nice.

I've heard that a heating pad is nice for after labour.

ashlie said...

That's right - I can't forget that! I'm going to get a pedicure on Thursday and wanted to ask her about aromatherapy stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

Joan Crawford said...

Congrats to you, Lady! I have to catch up on so many posts of yours but very quickly I will say: Make sure you have GIANT grandma undies!! Regular ones just aren't going to cut it. Ahh, the joys of childbirth :D

Joan Crawford said...

Flip-flops! Are you in a private room? Even if you sign up for one, you may not get in right away and then you have to use the shower down the hall. Yech - bring your protective foot coverings! A small fan too! I had both babies in the fall (one early fall, one late) and I was still so hot both times. I could get no air circulation and made my husband bring me mini desktop fan. A bottle of Purell! I made everyone (nurses who "just washed" included) put some one when they came in. I don't care if you think you're clean - I saw you touch that nasty hospital door handle! Just smile and say "You know how us New Moms are, it'd make me feel better".
Oh and you NEED to bring trash magazines. You'll be too tired to read an actual book but the glossies are a good way to pass the time. I had c-sections both times and was in for 3 days each. It seemed like an eternity. Oh also, have Jagger IMMEDIATELY commandeer a cot for himself once you get to your room. Those things are a rarity and need to be acquired and guarded fiercely.

ashlie said...

Joan! So nice to see you again! Thanks for all the tips - Our hospital is a very small one, with only two delivery rooms and you usually get to stay in that same room the whole stay, unless someone else needs it, which is rare. There's a nice big Lazy Boy chair in the rooms too for the dads (that's where I slept when I spent the night with Blair in the hospital). I'll definitely have to pack some Purell - I already have a huge bottle on our coffee table for guests! The trashy magazines are a good idea too - I would just have to hold off on reading them before the time comes! I also bought some maternity disposable underwear today - oh so glamorous!