Thursday, 25 November 2010

Mat Leave

So today marks the first day of my mat leave.  I managed to save enough vacation time that I will be off until January 2012, which seems so far away!  I'm sure I'll be fine once the kid gets here, but I'm concerned about things in the meantime.  I don't do well with unstructured time!  So, here's a quick rundown of what I'm hoping to accomplish while I'm off, both in the short-term and the long-term.  Consider this also a list of what to expect on the blog in the future.

  • Today I'm getting a pedicure, super exciting!
  • Tomorrow I have to bake 8 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange, and maybe rearrange the living room.
  • I'm also hoping to organize my paperwork from typing transcripts (a chore I've long avoided)
  • Finish painting the two tables that have had one coat of paint on them since July
  • TV watching.  I've got a full DVR, Season 4 of Dexter, Season 6 of LOST, the complete Twin Peaks and Season 1 of Six Feet Under sitting here just waiting for me.
  • Video games.  Hello Arkham Asylum and Super Mario Galaxy 2.  I believe we have some unfinished business.
Thinking more long term, here's what I'm hoping to get done.  Besides, you know, taking care of the kid and all.
  • Cooking.  I'm excited to be at home during the day and having some time to cook meals that I haven't tried before.  When I don't get home from work until 5:00, it makes it really difficult to throw things together sometimes.
  • Sewing.  I've had so many ideas of things to sew, but just have never had the time.  Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to learn how to use my machine and put together some awesome things.
  • Knitting.  My knitting has definitely fallen by the wayside.  I'd also love to learn to crochet.  (Lord, this list is sounding really domestic!)
  • Vegetable garden.  This is my big summer project.  I'm hoping to build some raised planters for the yard and start a lovely little vegetable garden.
  • Working out.  Not always the easiest task with a newborn, but I can't wait to start working on getting back to some form of normal.  I can't wait to run again.
  • Doing the mommy thing at the Early Years Centre.  I'm excited to take part in the programs and things they have available.
  • Spending time with my niece.  Not working will surely mean lots of time spent with my sister and Blair.
  • Painting the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom.  
  • Watching daytime TV.  Not the most noble of aspirations to be sure, but I'm excited about it!
I'm sure a lot of these things will get done, a lot won't and a lot of things I never even thought of will get done as well.  Any suggestions to keep myself from going stir crazy until the kid gets here?

4 comments:

PMAC said...

Sounds ambitious but I don't doubt that you can do it all!
I was off for 5 weeks before Rylan was born and it was the most boring time ever. I can't even remember what I did! I was off for 16 weeks before Tatum was born, but thankfully I had Rylan to keep me busy! Good luck!! Anytime now Baby B!

ashlie said...

I'm glad I worked for as long as I did (and grateful that I was able to work right up until the end). Hopefully I don't have too long of a wait and get too bored! There might be a lot of random posts up here if I am!

Dan Brown said...

I'm on nights for the forseeable future, so let's do lunch one day!

ashlie said...

Sounds like a plan!