Friday, 12 November 2010

Capturing the belly

As my time as a preggo winds down, some of you might be wondering if I'm going to participate in the ever-popular maternity photo shoot.

It has definitely become more and more common for people to have professional pictures taken while pregnant, perhaps spurned on by celebrities setting the standard, like most recently with Miranda Kerr.

I said at the beginning of my pregnancy that I wouldn't make that decision until the end, and if I was happy with how I looked and felt like I wanted to capture it, then I would get it done.  If I felt like a whale and was not comfortable at all, then I wasn't going to spend the money to have the pictures done.

Now, I definitely don't feel like a whale, and I don't think I look all that awful, but I just don't feel the need to spring for pictures.  Miranda Kerr, I am not.  I'm pretty happy with our little milestone pictures in the bathroom for right now.  Besides, I don't really know what one does with maternity pictures after you have them done (besides posting them on Facebook, of course).  Do I frame them for the living room?  The baby's room?  Keep them in an album and look back on them fondly?  I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be something that I'm into.  We have sooo many recent pictures of Jagger and I because of the engagment/wedding pictures that I just can't imagine having another set of pictures from a maternity shoot and then more family pictures once the kid gets here.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of amazing maternity photo shoots out there.  They can definitely be well done.  Offbeat Mama has a great gallery of interesting maternity photos that I love.  It just doesn't seem like something I want to capture.

The other thing holding me back is that I'm just not that attached to the belly.  I'm attached to the kid, sure.  But the belly?  I feel strangely detached from it, like it's not really a part of me, more like something I'm wearing.  I don't have a problem with people touching it, because it doesn't even feel like it's me.  Maybe that's a weird thing to say, but I don't know if I'm going to be one of those women who "misses" being pregnant.  It's not a cute belly, at least not to me.  I'm not saying this to try and generate a bunch of "Oh, you're being silly, it's an adorable belly!" comments, I'm saying this because it is kind of a weird belly.  It's always been pretty flat, and it's not a big out there round belly.  People are still surprised to find out how far along I am, so I think it would be weird to have pictures at this point.  Plus, my belly button has been reduced to a weird little winking eye type thing, not cute.

I know a lot of people who have said they've regretted not getting them done, but I just don't think I'm going to regret it.  If anything, I would rather hold onto the money and have some really nice pictures done of the kid once they get here.

What do you think?  Will I end up regretting this?  Am I being sensible?

2 comments:

Sunny J said...

I think you should get some studio photos of Jagger's belly.

Dan Brown said...

You have to be true to yourself. You seem "meh" on the idea, so you must not really care that much.

If you think you're going to regret it, you can always get a shot done and then put it away. In six months or a year, pull the photo out — and if you still feel "meh," leave it in the drawer.