Sunday, 17 October 2010

"If the fire didn't kill them, the gasoline did"

So Jagger and I were outside yesterday doing some yard work.  Just as we were about finished, I was heading into the house to get something when I turned around to ask Jagger something first.  As I turned, this is what I suddenly noticed in our maple tree out front.


Holy shit.

It's the biggest hive/nest I've ever seen.  What is it that builds in trees?  Hornets?  Wasps?  Bees?  I don't know, but we had to get rid of it.  My sister is allergic to bees, and the idea of that thing staying up there until next summer was not an option.

I don't know how we missed it all summer, but it was so hot that I was basically just dashing in and out the front door to get to the air conditioning.  If I was heading out for a leisurely stroll, I would wait until it was dark and cool out, so I guess we just missed it.


Seriously, this thing was bigger than a basketball.


So, we took it down to get it burned.  Luckily, since it's October and our nights have been pretty cold, the bees were not active at all and we didn't have to worry about being stung.


I was still a bit worried while we were taking it down though.

Next step was to burn the bastards.


As it burned, we could see that the inside was full of larvae, not what we wanted to see come to life in the summer when we've got a baby running around.



Eventually, we just had the combs left to burn and that wasn't happening quickly enough, so we decided to add a little fuel to the fire.  Because that's the safest way to get rid of anything.






Like Jagger said, if the fire didn't kill them, the gasoline did.

This is the second hive we've found this summer.  Jagger found a small one a couple of months ago in our shed.  This one was pretty epic though.

I think my favourite part was when Jagger asked if I was going to put it up on the blog.  "Of course, why do you think I'm following you around making a video of the whole thing?"  Silly man, it's all for the blog now!

It made for an interesting Saturday.

2 comments:

Jaclyn Goodwillie said...

I'm pretty sure that would have been a wasps nest. You should try one of those fake wasps nests. They're territorial so it should deter others from making a nest. You would likely find one at Canadian tire.

ashlie said...

Yeah, I was just telling Jagger that tonight, that we'll have to get one of those paper nests to hang next year. We found a smaller hive in the shed too, so we'll no doubt be in for more of the same next year.