Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Hunting down the perfect diaper bag...

Those of you who read my blog pretty regularly have no doubt noticed that I tend to get an idea in my head and then go off on a huge Google-filled hunt for the perfect specimen, completely overthinking the entire process.  Well, this post shouldn't be of any surprise to you then.

I'm looking for the perfect diaper bag.  Something that isn't too diaper baggy.  Something that's easy to clean, easy to carry, holds lots of stuff and looks decent.  I'm the one carrying the bag around, not the kid.  I hate it when diaper bags seem to have been designed to match the baby and not the grown up who has to drag the stupid thing around.

So really, what I've decided is that I'm looking for a new purse.  But a multi-purpose purse.  Diaper purse.

You might remember from this blog that I am already a big purse person.  That's still the current purse I'm using.  I would consider continuing to use it as a diaper bag, since I love it, but the liner is ripped and the leather is starting to come apart and it doesn't have enough compartments for a diaper bag. 

Here's what I'm looking for in a new bag -
  • Compartments.  I want to make sure there's lots of pockets (preferably outside ones) so I can find my keys and cell phone without ripping the entire bag apart.
  • Easy to clean.  I'm leaning towards something in a canvas right now, something I could just toss in the washing machine when it inevitably becomes covered in vomit, be it from me or the baby.
  • Options.  I would like it to be able to be worn cross-body to keep my hands free, but also have the option of just going over my shoulder if need be.
  • Large and in charge.  I'm that person who likes to carry everything with them.  I like to have a book and a notebook and pens and one of everything on hand.  This will no doubt only become worse when the kid gets here and I have to cart all their junk around too.
  • Pretty, but not too girly.  I don't want it to be something that Jagger will refuse to carry.
  • Easy to close, but not necessary to close.  I don't want to have to fight with a zipper to close the thing, and I don't want it to have to be closed all the time.
  • Reasonably priced.  Seriously, some of these diaper bags are stupid expensive.  If you think I'm spending $100 + on a diaper bag, you're mistaken.
Here's what I've been looking at so far:

Denim Tote from the Gap

I like that it's an easy to clean fabric and has outside pockets and the price is definitely right.  However, I think that when it's full it would be really hard to keep it on my shoulder with those short stumpy little straps.

American Eagle Utility Tote

Again, I like that it's canvas and it seems to be a good size.  My sister has been using a big tote from American Eagle as her diaper bag and it seems to be working out.  However, this bag can't be worn cross-body and it doesn't have any outside pockets.

Good old etsy.com always has some pretty options.

Here's a bag I've been drooling over for about a year from Moop.

I love pretty much all of their bags.  I just don't know if I'm ready to pony up $133 for a canvas bag.  So pretty though...

So far, this bag is the frontrunner from Kinies.  It's basically the same as the Moop one, but at a much more comfortable price.


Here's a view of the inside too - looks like there would be lots of room for my crap and the kid's crap.

What do you think?  Do I "need" and actual diaper bag for some reason, or would I be fine with just a nice, big practical bag?

2 comments:

PMAC said...

You definitely DON'T need a diaper bag. I use a canvas Roxy bag that sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly. I got this one at Winner's but have seen it at Archie's too. It has 6 outside pockets plus 3 or 4 inside. I have washed it inside out in the washing machine numerous times and it still looks great. Good luck on your search!

ashlie said...

Thanks, Paula! I'm glad to hear someone else had success with just a canvas bag without buying in to a crazy overpriced diaper bag. I never thought of checking out Winners/Archie's - sounds like I have a mission!