Sunday, 12 September 2010

Boy or Girl? Place your bets!

I've been meaning to do this post for some time now, since I saw it over on the Five Blondes blog.  Here's my results to some classic old wives tales - let's see how accurate it is!  For the record, Jagger and I are still hoping for a boy (I still think it's a boy).  My mom and most of my family says girl, and my coworkers say boy.  As time has gone on (I'm 29 weeks now) Jagger and I are feeling more like it might be a girl, only because we've been wanting a boy so much that it will no doubt backfire.  Just as long as it's one or the other, we'll be happy.


Comment and place your bets!


I'm planning on posting a new picture next week for 30 weeks, so we'll see if that helps at all!


(And for the record, I don't believe in any of these at all, because I've heard the opposite about pretty much all of these)

(Also, I apologize for the spacing - when I tried to fix it, it made it all one big blob.  Sigh.)


Sleep Position



Pay attention to which way you lay down in bed tonight. If you prefer sleeping on your left side, you’ll have a boy. Right side? You’re pregnant with a girl.

Neutral - I prefer to sleep on my left side, but lately my left arm has been hurting when I do that, so I sleep better on my right side.  Also, if I sleep on my left side, I end up facing Jagger and that means I have to dodge his dragon breath all night.


Upset Stomach

Little girls aren’t always sweet. Extreme nausea means you are having a daughter.

Boy - I have been very lucky and have had hardly any nausea.  Really the only nausea to speak of was in the beginning, and only if I let myself get hungry.



Soft or Dry Hands

If your hands are dry during pregnancy, you are having a boy; soft—expect a girl.

Boy - My hands are always terribly dry in the winter and fine in the summer, but this year I've been noticing they've been much more dry.



Food Cravings

Your favorite pregnancy foods may tell you what sex the baby is. If you’re craving citrus while pregnant, you’re having a girl.

Boy - I can't say I've been craving citrus (or anything really) but lately I've been really liking tomatoes - does the acidity in the tomatoes count as being close to the acidity of the citrus?



Adult Acne

If altering hormones makes your skin break out, expect a girl.

Boy - I was really worried about what my skin would do when I was pregnant, since I also used birth control pills to help with my skin.  So far, it hasn't been so bad.  A few breakouts here and there, but nothing unusual for me, so I'm going with boy.  In fact, I've been out of makeup for a couple of weeks and no one seems to have noticed, so my skin can't be that bad.



Graceful or Clumsy Pregnancy

If you feel as though you’re gliding through they day, you’ll have a girl. Stumbling? It’s a boy.

Boy - but I'm always pretty clumsy.  I'm definitely running into things more often though.




Face Weight Gain

If your face gets fuller, it means you’re having a girl.

Neutral - This question is mean.  I think my face is fuller, but I haven't had anyone comment on it, so who knows.



Sugar and Spice Food Cravings

Craving salt during pregnancy? Potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn means a boy is on the way. Need a little something sweet? Ice cream, chocolate, and candy means you’re having a girl.

Neutral - I've been pretty into salty and sweet combinations actually - like adding Smarties to my popcorn at the movies.  Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!



Mood Changes

If you’re experiencing pregnant mood-swings, expect a baby girl to arrive soon.

Boy - I think I've been pretty relaxed, and can't really think of any mood swings.  I'll get crabby, but I'll just say that I'm in a bad mood.




High or Low Pregnant Belly

If you’re carrying the baby low on your stomach, expect a boy. If it’s high, you’re having a girl.

Girl - I'm carrying pretty high.  In fact, a few weeks ago when my mom saw me, that was the first thing she said - "That's a girl!  Look how high your belly is!"



Baby Weight

If you’re carrying baby in front, it’s a boy. Is the baby weight spaced all around your middle? It’s a girl.

Girl - I thought I was just belly, but then I sat in the captain's chair at my mom's dining room table on the weekend and it was a bit tighter fit than it used to be, so I guess I'm getting it all around.



Pendulum Test

Dangle a chain with a charm over your palm. If it swings back and forth: boy. In a circle: girl.

Boy


Model Your Hands

“Show me your hands.” If you would hold your hands palms up it’s a girl. Down? You’re having a boy.


Boy


Toddler Advice

Get baby advice from a nephew or friend’s little boy. If a toddler boy shows interest in your belly, you’ll have a girl. If he ignores you, it’s a boy.

Neutral - My friend's little boy didn't seem to interested in my belly on the weekend, but she's pregnant too, so I think he's just over the whole thing.  The little boy foster baby at my mom's house was playing with my belly though.



Eat Garlic

Guess the baby’s sex by eating garlic. If the smell seeps out of your pores it’s a boy. If there’s no scent it’s a little girl.


Neutral - I'm going with neutral on this one.  I can't tell if it seeps out of my pores, but garlic smell really sticks to my hands, even worse right now than it used to.


Key to Pregnancy

If you pick up a key by the round end, you’re having a boy. If it’s by the long end? A girl.

Boy - and the idea that anyone would pick up a key by the long end seems really weird to me.



Even and Odd Numbers

If your age and year of conception are both even or odd, it’s girl. One even, one odd means a boy.

Boy - 27, 2010



Baby’s Heartbeat

If the baby’s heart beats more than 150 times per minute, you’re pregnant with a girl. Less than 150, it’s a boy.

Boy - This week's appointment was the first time anyone had told me what the heart rate was.  I was told 135-142, but my mom declared that to be a "girl" heartrate.





Stress Test

A child tends to be of the same sex as the parent who is less stressed at the time of conception.



Neutral - We're both pretty calm most of the time, but conception would have been not too long before we moved, so we both were probably equally stressed.


Dream Meanings

If you dream about having a girl while pregnant, you will wind up having a boy and vice versa.

Neutral - I've mostly dreamed about the baby being a boy, but lately it's been a girl.




Breast Size

If your right breast is larger than the left while pregnant, you are having a girl. If the left is larger, it’s a baby boy.

Neutral - Seriously?  What kind of question is this?  They're both out of control, I can't tell if one is a different size than the other.

Totals:

Boy - 11
Girl - 2
Neutral - 8

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Best and most entertaining pregnancy blog post to date, Ashlie!

I laughed out loud at a couple parts!

If you feel it's a boy, and you want a boy, then for you and Jagger I hope it's a boy:)

PS—This is me procrastinating on getting the book club blog up. Also, I really intend to not be a big ditch-a-suarus this time, so I hope to see you there next week:) (Holy, really? Next week already? Time flies!)