Sunday, 22 August 2010

To Park or Not To Park.

It seems that one of the great pregnancy controversies is the designated parking spots.  You know the ones, the "Expectant mother/caregivers with young children" parking spots located oh so temptingly close to the store?  Ever since we found out about the kid, Jagger's been bugging me to use the spots.  "Let's park in the preggo spot!" He'd suggest as we pulled up to the grocery store.  "No, I'm hardly even showing and there's a regular spot right there, it's not a big deal."  I was really resistant to using the spots.  It just seems so unnecessary, especially right now.  There's nothing wrong with me, I don't need to have a spot a bit closer to the store.  If anything, I need the walk through the parking lot.  I always figured I would rather use it after the kid gets here and I'm struggling with the car seat and stroller in a parking lot filled with snow. 

I'm sure lots of other girls jump at the chance to use the spots - it is handy, especially at a busy movie theatre.  That's cool, I don't have a problem with people using them at all.  In fact, I encourage my mom to use the spots all the time (she's a foster mom to a three year old, a one year old and a six month old, so I think if anyone should get to use those spots, it's her!).  I would never get worked up if there weren't any available preggo parking spots though, it's not like they're required, they're just a courtesy.

I spend a bit too much time trolling on message boards on The Bump.  I never post on them because, well, those girls are crazy.  It blows my mind the things that they manage to find to complain about.  One of those things always seems to be the parking spots.  There's not enough of them, you should use them, you shouldn't use them...back and forth and back and forth.  Really, it's not that big of a deal.

That being said, we did happen to make use of a preggo parking spot for the very first time yesterday.  We foolishly decided to head out to Walmart just as a downpour was about to start.  "Now is the time to use those parking spots," I decided.  I still felt a little nervous parking there, like some overdue pregnant woman was going to start screaming at me for taking "her spot" so I held my belly a little bit more than I usually do as we dashed into the store through the rain.

You know what though?  It was kind of nice having that spot.

3 comments:

Palindrome said...

awww that's sweet. You guys have an expecting mother spot.

ashlie said...

Are there not parking spots like that where you are, Palindrome? Here they're at pretty much all the big grocery stores/malls/big box stores type things...handy when you want to use them!

Hannah Kincade said...

Nope. Nothing like that in Minnesota. I can't speak for other states. There's handicapped spaces but that is all.