Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Desk - Updated!

Well, after much painting, I'm nearly done my furniture re-vamps.  I'm still working on a couple of end tables and might still paint a small bookcase, I haven't quite decided yet.

Remember my old $15 desk from this post?  Here's a reminder of what it used to look like...



And here it is after a quick sanding, a coat of primer and a couple of coats of white paint...


I'm pretty happy with the results, but about halfway through painting the drawers, I really regretted it and wished I had only painted the desk itself and left the drawers their original wood.  You lose the line detail in this picture, but they are still there.  The drawers were just a huge pain to paint and there's a few drips.  I suppose I can't ask for much out of a face lift on a $15 desk though.

I've moved it to the office and it does prove to be quite a handy work station.  It's more comfortable than my old desk (remember this whole fiasco?) and even though I lose room on the desktop itself, it's so nice to have drawers again!  Having the wireless keyboard should make it easy to just slide it out of the way when I need more surface area on the desk for proofreading transcripts or some crafty-type activity and the Mac is really only ever on the desk to charge since we usually have it out in the living room with us to immediately solve any arguments with a quick Wikipedia search.

Here's another view of the desk, just for fun.



And you can see part of our ticket board up there too.

The cords are obviously a disaster, I'll have to fix that up at some point.  That's really not unusual for me though.

The office is really starting to come together as a much more usable space now.  I'd still like to get a futon or something in here so we could have something for guests to stay on, but it's not anything we need immediately or anything.  This desk definitely has a smaller footprint than the old one though, so it feels like there's lots of spare room in here.  The old desk is still kicking around in the basement though, just in case we ever should require its services!

No comments: