Thursday, 15 July 2010

The Uncuttable Corners

My friend Lisa mentioned on the last post how it's necessary to splurge on toilet paper.  I completely agree with this.  There are some things that you just can't cheap out on.  I'm generally a pretty cheap person.  I certainly don't have a problem with No-Name stuff and I rarely buy things at full price.  Clearance rack - here I come!  But I must admit, there are some items that cannot be substituted under any circumstances. 

Here's my list of uncuttable corners...
  • Toilet paper.  When Jagger and I were talking about moving in together, I warned him that any toilet paper we bought would be the expensive.  Toilet paper in my house has to have some combination of kittens, puppies, bears or some other variety of cute and cuddly animal on it, or contain the words "luxury", "deluxe" or "cashmere".
  • Peanut butter.  I'm sorry, but it has to be Kraft peanut butter.  I've tried to go cheap, and it's just not worth it.  It's not even worth it for me to buy the light peanut butter - it ends up all grainy and gross.  Brand name all the way.
  • Garbage bags.  I have to go with Glad garbage bags, without compromise.  Once again, I've tried the cheap-o brands, and they just fall apart and you need two to get the job done anyway.  Argh.
I'm sure there's other examples, but those are my top ones.

Conversely, I've always found that "Kraft Dinner" gets better the cheaper version you get.  I don't know why that is, but I've always enjoyed the cheap no-name brands just as well as the "pricey" version.

What about you?  What do you have to have as a brand name?

6 comments:

lisaampraill said...

as i said before no cheaping out on toilet paper!! And ketchup, it has to be heinz. I use to be the same with peanut butter. But, recently I decided to try another cheap brand. I just couldnt resist the deal while dealing with maternity wages. And it is surprisingly good!! Of course its nothing compared to the bears, but still pretty decent.
And garbage bags, go to costco, they have the best garbage bags for the price hands down!

ashlie said...

Yes! Ketchup is definitely another one - I just forgot it! Damn this pregnancy brain!

Joan Crawford said...

The red package of the Bear Toilet Paper* is the best! I agree with this list, also, you have to buy name brand plastic wrap.
I too am all about no-name stuff if it's good. You know what stuff is awesome? President's Choice. I swear - PC sunblock, frozen dinner, jelly - they make everything and it usually is better then the real thing. Like fig newtons - buy the PC kind - twice as good. I also buy Half-the-Fat No Name brand peanut butter - it's really good!

P.S. You look super cute, Pregnant Lady!

*Charmin?

Palindrome said...

Definitely real peanut butter and ketchup. And I found generic graham crackers the grossest thing on the face of the earth and will only buy Honey Maid from now on.

Jenn said...

I am a cat owner. Never EVER cheap out on kitty litter. The expensive stuff that claims to decrease odors and work super-awesome. It does:)

I even go for the multi-cat formula, for my multi-cats. Worth every penny I tell ya—and I've tried many discount brands.

ashlie said...

Gee thanks for the tip Joan - now I've eaten an entire package of PC brand raspberry fig newtons! (Are they still fig newtons if there aren't any figs? Ah the mysteries of life...)

Jenn - good kitty litter is a must! We use the kind that's made from pine chips, and it works awesome (even though I can't clean out the litter box now, it keeps things smelling nice and you don't get big clay clouds from it).

Palindrome - I saw a display of Honey Maid graham crackers at the store the other day and thought of you! I get hankerings for graham crackers sometimes and it has to be Honey Maid!