Tuesday, 18 May 2010

To Answer Your Questions...

Well, I have a secret. It's not so much of a secret anymore, but it was for awhile.

What could the secret be? Well...I'm growing a person.

That's right, this December, coming your way a new little one in our household!

We're very excited, it's been so nice to finally be able to tell everyone. We found out at the end of March (which would explain why I've been so lazy) but didn't want to tell anyone until we had our first ultrasound, which happened last Friday. Now, things are starting to feel much more real, seeing it on that little screen and all.

So, without further ado, I thought I would answer all those questions that I've been asked lately. Hopefully it covers everything!

1. Are you going to find out what you're having?

- No. We want to keep it a surprise. We figure there's very few good surprises in life, and this is one of the best. For the record though, we both are hoping it's a boy, and we both think it's a boy (but that's probably just because we're both willing it to grow a penis). When I talk about the baby, I refer to it as "him". I certainly hope if it ends up being a girl, she won't hold my use of pronouns against me one day.

2. When are you due?

- So far, they're saying December 2nd. I'm sure that will change a dozen times before everything is said and done, but that's the date I have to go on so far. As long as it's before Christmas, I'm happy.

3. How have you been feeling/Have been having morning sickness?

- I have yet to throw up, but had lots of dizzy spells, headaches and general gagginess. For a few weeks I couldn't even open the fridge without gagging - the smell of the fridge really bothered me. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I know lots of girls who have been really, really sick, so I'm considering myself lucky. (And I hear this is another sign it's a boy!)

4. Have you been very tired?

- At first it was really just Mondays and Fridays that got to me, when I would really want a nap after work. Right now, it's just that when I'm tired, I'm tired now. I am in bed, asleep by 10:00 p.m. most nights, if not earlier. On the weekend, if Jagger's not home, it's not unusual for me to be asleep before 9:00 o'clock. One night, we tried to watch Lord of the Rings and made the mistake of starting it at 8:00 o'clock. I think I made the journey with them as far as the mines, then I was asleep in my chair.

5. Are you going to take the whole year off?

- You know, I never thought that I would want to take a whole year off work, but right now, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's going to be tight financially, but it would cost just as much for daycare and everything else. Right now, the idea of being off with no winter commute for this year and all of next summer off sounds delightful, I'm really looking forward to it.

6. Do you have any names picked out?

- Yes, we do have some names in mind. We've had a few names that we like for years. We're not telling them though, not because I want it to be a big secret, but because I don't want my opinion to change with people's reactions. It's more the boy's name that I'm worried about - it's a bit different (but not crazy and made up) and I'm really, really attached to it. If I told people now and they cringed at it, I think it would break my heart. Also, we want to wait and see what we end up with and what they look like before we decide on a name for sure.

7. Have you gained much weight?

- I definitely feel like I have, but I think a lot of it is just me losing muscle mass. I've had to stop running and am not playing baseball this year, so I feel super lazy and squishy. No one else seems to see the belly yet but me, but I think that's going to change very, very quickly over the next couple of weeks. My jeans are starting to get uncomfortable, and I am wearing lots of dresses to work and living in my jogging pants on the weekends.

8. Any weird cravings?

- You know, I read somewhere that a lot of cravings come from more of a craving for attention than anything else. That may not be the case for everyone, but I definitely haven't had any "gotta have it" cravings, where I send poor Jagger out in the middle of the night to find me a specific brand of ice cream or anything. Mostly, it's things like I'm more aware of when I haven't had enough fruits or vegetables in a day, and I'm much more likely to want milk with a meal. I've been really thirsty too, so lots and lots of water. I have noticed more and more that I think about food a lot. It's really random, I'll just be sitting somewhere and all of a sudden I'll think, "Hmm, mashed potatoes are good. Lime jello is good too..." Just weird things like that. I don't feel the need to rush out right away and consume those things, but I'll think about it more. I have been eating lots of ice cream sandwiches and Boston cream doughnuts though!

9. Are you redecorating for the nursery?

- I am planning on painting the spare room to make it the baby's room (I don't like the word "nursery" for some reason, it just bothers me). I'm not going to do a big theme room or anything dramatic though. I want the walls to be pretty neutral and just punch it up with colourful accessories to keep it gender-neutral and easy to change in the future. I'll post more on this as we go along.

10. What do the cats think of all this?

- I'm quite sure they don't understand what's going on, even though we keep telling them they're getting a brother or sister. They haven't been too impressed that I won't let them walk all over my stomach anymore though, silly things.

Well, that's all the questions I can think of now...of course, I've been completely brain dead from this whole baby thing, so if there are more questions, let me know! I promise you now, this will not become an "all about baby" blog. I promise to keep the randomness coming! There will no doubt be preggo-related posts, but it won't be strictly about that.

I'll leave you with a video which has pretty much become my list of things not to do while pregnant, enjoy!

8 comments:

Kyle MacKinnon said...

Congrats Jaggs and Ashlie. I'm really excited for you guys! That's awesome!

-Kyle

Lucy said...

Congratulations, Ashlie & Jagger! We are so happy for you both. You'll be fantastic parents!
Enjoy this special time of your lives.

PMAC said...

Hey Ashlie,
Good idea about keeping your name choices under wraps. We did the same thing... it's pretty hard for anyone to not like a name once they see the adorable little baby that comes with it! I hope you continue to feel well!

Joan Crawford said...

Congratulations, Mama! YAY! This is wonderful news! Is your husband strutting around like Cock of the Walk, as it were?
the smell of the fridge really bothered me
Me too! I couldn't go near it (mind you, I still ate plenty...I just had it brought to me) and even thinking about tomatoes or yogurt and I would vomit - the texture, the God awful texture!
The good news about barfing a lot is that the babies randomly seem to come out with higher IQs. which while your barfing for the 8th time that day means very little :D
I was sick for around 5 months with number 1 - it sucked! Good for you for waiting to see what you get - I tried to but by the time 5 months passed I had to know.
This is so great and having a winter baby is perfect timing - you'll miss the horrible hot of August while Super Pregnant (I spent a fair amount of time in a cool bathtub) and by the time Summer comes, the baby will be at that perfect "Yes! Let's lay outside and marvel over the blades of grass, Mom!" stage.

Joan Crawford said...

*should be "you're barfing". Damn it, I was all excited and missed it!

ashlie said...

Thanks everyone! We're very excited, it's much more fun now that everyone knows! I'm definitely glad that I won't be big through this summer and that hopefully by next summer I'll have lost the weight (it's my goal to be back in shape to do the 10 km Bluewater Bridge run next summer - ambitious!) Gotta go find another snack now...

Aunt Jill said...

First off - I just love your blog Ashlie! lol

Next - Another grandniece or nephew for me! yay. It's all about me you know.

Very smart to not tell people your name choice. Wish I'd been that smart. I remember my mother curling up her nose at Rusty's. I am glad I stuck with it though...She wanted me to name him some soap opera name like Ridge or Thorne! Ok mom. ;-)

This Christmas is going to be amazing!

Oh and I told Tanner you were expecting - in December, he was super excited for someone else to have their birthday that month. It's not easy to get Tan excited about stuff like that!

Now you have given me a awesome reason to look forward to the winter time. :-)

Falen said...

yay! Congratulations!