Monday, 24 May 2010

The End.

Well, as many of you watched last night, LOST has come to its conclusion. I, for one, enjoyed the finale and thought that it held true to the series as a whole. I know that there's many people out there who don't feel the same way, but that's okay. The whole point of the show all along has been to get us talking and debating, not to make everyone happy and tie things up into happy little bows.

I'm not going to give my detailed thoughts on the finale, partly because I still have to watch it again, and partly because there's already so many other blogs with their thoughts out there that are far better thought out and more comprehensive.

What I wanted to write about is what LOST has meant to me, and my journey with the show.

I wasn't one of those people who started watching from the Pilot episode. In 2004 when the show started, I was in my fourth year of university and had a night class every Wednesday night from 7-10, so I never got a chance to see this great show that everyone was talking about. When the school year ended, my boyfriend at the time and I watched the "catch-up" episode of LOST that they aired a couple of episodes before the end of the season to lure in new viewers. Consider me lured.

I was instantly in love with the show. I watched the end of season 1, and got the Season 1 DVDs for my birthday to catch up for Season 2. Through the summer between Season 1 and 2 I started discovering the online community that goes hand in hand with the show. I found The Fuselage and the Lost Experience and was hooked.

See, that was what made this show so special and so different. I watch a lot of TV shows - a lot, but none of them have the same sense of community that LOST does for me. The creative team behind LOST goes out of their way to give us things to discuss and work on together. From ARGs to Easter Eggs, there was never an end of things to figure out on this show. How many other shows have experts online analyzing timetravel theories and hieroglyphic translations?

As the seasons rolled on, I became more and more rooted in my fandom. There was no other show quite like LOST, no other show that I could talk about for hours on end without getting bored, although I'm sure I bored lots of other people with my chatter.

LOST has absolutely changed the way I watch TV, the way I think about TV and what a good show is. I have yet to find anything that matches the level of committment from both fans and the creative team. You can call me a nerd, but I'll wear that badge proudly. I'm a Lostie through and through.

Today, as we exist in this "Post-LOST" time, I'm excited to see what's coming. I'm not sad about the show ending - the greastest thing this show ever did was to set and end date. I hope that more and more shows will take their example and decide on a set end date early in the series production (V, I'm looking at you!). I truly hope that LOST will change the way new series are produced, that there will be a focus on the community that goes beyond the designated time slot. I'm excited to see what new shows are coming out next season, and can't wait to find that new show that will be my "LOST", although nothing will quite take its place.

2 comments:

Dan Brown said...

So you started watching Lost years ago. Have you been dead all along?

ashlie said...

No, no one was ever dead all along! The whole, "they're all dead" ending doesn't mean that they were dead all along, just that they all are eventually dead, just like everyone.