Thursday, 22 April 2010

April?

I've been quite the inconsistent blogger lately...let's see, what can I blame it on? The weather? The move? The general lack of not much going on in April? Let's go with all of the above. April has been kind of a weird month - weather ups and downs, it seems like every week I have some new major bill to pay and end up wildly broke for a while...I don't know, it's just been a weird month.

That being said, I'm super excited for May. Ever notice how sometimes lots of good things just get lumped together and you end up with weeks and weeks of awesomeness? That's what May is shaping up to be for me.

So far in May, I have...

  • May 1st - Free Comic Book Day - My favourite non-holiday holiday. Last year was the first time we went out for FCBD and it was so much fun. I highly recommend it. It's exactly what it says it is, you go to a comic book store, you get free comics! It's a super fun day. The comic book stores in London have passports so you get a stamp at each store and then can enter to win lots of awesome prizes. Wear comfortable shoes, bring a good bag for all your loot! Now if only I could decide what to wear...
  • May 4th - The new Sookie Stackhouse book and the new Chuck Palahniuk books are released - I'm so excited for these books, and the fact that they're out on the same day makes it even sweeter. Even though that means I'll have to spring for two hardcovers in the same day...
  • May 7th - Iron Man 2 - Our graphic novel group is going on a field trip to see this movie on May 8th, but it's released May 7th, so I'll put down that date. The comic book store has rented out a theatre, so we can go see it for $2 and then meet back at LA Mood to discuss "Demon in a Bottle". It should be super fun - you should contact LA Mood if you're interested!
  • May 8th - M&M Barbeque - I love going to this every year. For a minimum donation (I believe it's $2.50) you get a drink, hot dog or hamburger and chips, and it's all for a good cause. Check out your local M&M Meat Shops and get in on the deal!
  • Sometime mid-May - I get to be an aunt! - My sister is due mid-May, and I can't wait to meet my first niece. It's felt like it's been a really long time coming, and I can't wait to meet her!
  • May 15th - Jays Game - Jagger and I are meeting his parents in Toronto to check out a Jays game. This day gets bonus points because I'll get a soft pretzel at the game - my favourite food ever!
  • May 20th - Times Talks LOST - I've blogged about this before, but I'm so excited! I've already got my ticket for this amazing live broadcast interview with Damon and Carlton, just a few days before the finale of LOST. It should be an awesome night!
  • May 23rd - The End. - Even though it's bittersweet, I'm definitely excited for the finale of LOST. This season has been just stellar, and I can't wait to see how it's all going to end. I have every confidence that the finale is going to be satisfying.
  • May 24th - May 2-4 on May 24th! Not only is it a holiday Monday, which is always awesome, but I will have a whole day to mope around the house and mourn LOST...or to compulsively read blogs for everyone's reactions...probably a little of both.
  • May 25th - True Blood Season 2 - I haven't seen the second season of True Blood yet, since I have yet to win the argument that we need HBO. I'm hoping the eighth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm will help to convince Jagger that we do, but we'll see. This should also help to calm me down after the end of LOST.
  • May 28th - Sex and the City 2 - I can't believe I forgot about this - thank goodness my friend Jerri reminded me! I'm super pumped for this movie, I have been watching the trailer way too much. My plan is to go see it on opening night at the VIP theatre with some girls, where there will no doubt be lots of pretty fruity drinks to be consumed! Fun!
I can't think of anything else truly awesome happening in May, but I hope there's more to come!
What about you, do you have lots of fun stuff coming up to look forward to?

7 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

Woah! A ton of stuff is happening in May! ...it seems like every week I have some new major bill to pay and end up wildly broke for a while - I know, right? I couldn't believe how much our last move cost us. You budget for stuff like a truck rental but then all these miscellaneous things pop up and it quickly adds up. I am so over moving for at least 5 years, I seriously can't even think about going through it again. A field trip to the movies! Fun! How many people are in your group - it must be expensive to rent out a screen at the movie theater. I haven't seen True Blood yet! I want to start that and Battlestar Galactica this month (my friend is a big fan of BSG and I always ragged on her and asked her how 'Stargate SG1' was going...and look at me now!)

Falen said...

i'm also looking forward to the end of lost. I don't even know if i'll be sad. I'll just be glad i was along for the whole ride since that first episode.
And gardening. May starts gardening season for us up here

ashlie said...

I know, moving is ridiculous. We didn't even rent a truck or anything, but our eating and grocery schedule has been completely messed up...adding to that, our freezer (the new one) broke a couple of weeks ago, so we had to throw everything out and return the freezer, so now there's nothing but a loaf of garlic bread and ice cream in the freezer (which suits me just fine). The movie should be fun - we usually get about 12-15 people out for meetings, but we might get more for the movie. We're seeing an early show at like 10:00 a.m. so I don't think it's too much to rent out the screen. You must start watching True Blood! ASAP!

@Falen - I agree, I'm just enjoying the ride and hoping for a satisfying ending. I don't think I'll be disappointed. I started gardening this week too, I got some bulbs planted and the front garden weeded...there's still so much work to do though!

Jenn said...

How is it that I live in London, and did not know about this Free Comic Book Day?

Also...infiltrate my book club all you want. I am soooooo planning an infiltration on your graphic novel group. Seriously.

I am still planning to email you the deets for May's meeting. I figured it best to wait 'till May because quite frankly, the April book SUCKED. I just couldn't let you come and start your take-over on a terrible book like that. May's book is Sarah's Key by Tatiana DeRosenay...check it out, see if it's something you'd like.

(PS—we have MAJOR Sookie Stackhouse fans in my book club as well!)

ashlie said...

Jenn, FCBD is so much fun! It happens all over, but I think it's especially fun in London because all the stores work together with the passport idea - plus, that way you get more free stuff! If you haven't got anything going on next Saturday, I recommend you stop by a shop. Let me know if you're going to be out and about - maybe we can meet up!

I am definitely looking forward to the book club, I'd love to check it out! I've just been held back because of worry of missing LOST on a Tuesday!

Our graphic novel group meets every second Saturday @ 11:00 a.m. in the basement at LA Mood (On Richmond between York and King - right by City Lights). It's super relaxed and very welcoming of new people! Like I said, the next meeting is May 8th and we're going to see Iron Man 2 first, then discuss Demon in a Bottle after, so it should be fun. Let me know if you're interested! We also usually go out for breakfast at The Mascot afterwards - yummy!

Palindrome said...

OMG! Since April sucks every year, May is always delightful!

I can't wait for the new Sookie! And there's a new Chuck Palahniuk!! I lurve him!! ooooh, so excited!

I can't wait for the new season of True Blood to start...season two was AWESOME!!! When I started season one I told myself I would watch it slowly because then I'd have to wait a year...didn't happen. So addicting!! It's like Nip/Tuck when I first started that, must be watched with guilty pleasures present...chocolate and favorite alcohol. MMMMM...

Dan Brown said...

So how is your May going so far?