Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Why is there duct tape on this handle?

You might wonder why someone would have duct tape wrapped around a door handle. You might also wonder why large pieces of paint are missing from the door area surrounding the door handle.
The answer is Gibson.

Don't let that cute face fool you - this cat is a grade-A asshole. He's discovered that he can stretch out and swat at the door handle to flick it. Did I mention that his favourite time to play this game is at about 3:30 in the morning? We are pretty sure he's trying to escape the apartment, and at this point we're pretty close to just letting him go.
At first we taped a washcloth around the door handle to try to deter him. Eventually, he just worked it off.
Then we tried taping the handle down to the door so he couldn't move it. Now aside from this being very safe in the event of an emergency, it also started to pull paint off the door.
The picture is my preferred method - a tube of duct tape around the handle so when he swats at it, it's too sticky for him. This was working for a while, until he realized that all the other doors in our apartment have handles too. Sigh. The move can't come soon enough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaa!!! Please dont just let him out....once you get into the house he will have too much other new stuff to get into to bug you anymore. I love him, and his cape!
-Court

ashlie said...

I know - damn him and his stupid cute face! Just as I was trying to be mad at him tonight, he came to sit with me in my chair and fell off the arm rest so he ended up sitting in the crook of my arm all propped up like a person instead of curled up like a cat (if that makes any sense)...damn him and his cuteness...

Joan Crawford said...

Aw, he's a cute little jerk isn't he? My cat used to hide on top of the cabinets and then pounce on people - wildly slapping them on the head with her paws. She was a real asshole too. Thanks for the award, I forgot to say it before!

Dan Brown said...

Amanda mentioned something about two-sided tape to prevent the cats from scratching the furniture. We'll let you know. We have a new nickname for Elvis and Philly, "The two-cat wrecking crew." Hey, I have a suggestion for a blog topic: How are you enjoying your Tuesday evenings to yourself?

ashlie said...

The duct tape doesn't even really work with him, he just paws at it until it isn't sticky anymore. Besides, we have to use the handle to get out of the apartment, so it loses its stickiness factor quickly. Yeah, I'll have to blog about my Tuesdays alone, even though it really only involves me and a bowl of ice cream reacting wildly to LOST!

Blam said...

Oh, I have cat stories. I've put cats in capes, too, BTW, but neither of my current ones; I have a great photo of our first cat growing up with red-eye and I swear it looks like he's using his heat vision to light the Chanukah candles.