Saturday, 13 February 2010

Turkey Meatloaf Pie with Sauteed Swiss Chard



Here we go, night two. This turned out really good, I was really impressed with it. It was very easy and super tasty. We have lots of leftovers now though, so tomorrow might end up being a leftover dinner and we'll stretch out the 7 dinners of 8 nights (or maybe more at this rate). Sorry about the picture, I forgot to take one right away! It smelled too good!

Serves : 4 Prep: 15 min Bake: 45 min

1/2 kaiser roll, finely ground or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup of milk
1 large egg
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper
1 onion grated, plus 1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch Swiss chard - tough ends trimmed, stems chopped and leaves torn into 1-inch pieces

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons ketchup; crumble in the turkey and stir in the parsley, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix in the grated onion and soaked breadcrumbs. (Be careful not to leave the breadcrumbs soaking too long - I did and they got all solid and hard, so I had to add more milk)
4. Spread evenly in a greased 9-inch pie plate and brush withe the remaining 6 tablespoons ketchup.
5. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat
7. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes
8. Add the Swiss chard stems and cook until tender, about 4 minutes
9. Add the chard leaves and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper
10. Serve with the meatloaf!

Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

Ha! I was going to say "Woah - portion control gone crazy!"

It does look really good -hurray for leftovers, remember these recipes for when you are about to have a baby and make some of them before you are due - the last thing on your mind will be cooking :)

ashlie said...

Yeah, no, not that good at portion control! This was actually a picture of my second helping too! Yeah, it's been fun checking out new things - hopefully they'll freeze well too for when it's time to stock up the freezer!

Dan Brown said...

I'm going to let Amanda know about your experiment. I'm sure she'd be interested, what with being a food blogger and all. The stuff you are making looks delicious!

Buddy Atkinson Jr. said...

The recipes sounds good so I printed it out and then realized "Where's the Meat?" I had the printed Page from RR magazine but my old eyes couldn't read it so I googled your wonderful blog downloading the recipe and low and behold noticed something was missing.
I redid the recipe alittle as we like sliced meat loaf sandwiches.so I dropped the onion and chard part and printed it out, so now I can read the directions.
Thanks and I love your Blog
Buddy Atkinson Jr.