Monday, 15 February 2010

Shrimp and Andouille Stew




Serves: 4 Prep: 5 min Cook: 55 min
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
one 12-ounce package andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1 inch thick (it said that you could use turkey kielbasa instead to give it less heat. That's what I used, not only because I didn't want the heat, but because I have no idea what andouille sausage is)
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
one 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
one 16 ounce bag frozen sliced okra
1 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat
2. Add the sausage and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl
4. Add the onion to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 7 minutes
5. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the cooked sausage, the tomatoes, okra and chicken broth
6. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened (about 30 to 35 minutes)
7. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the shrimp and cook until opaque.
8. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsley
I cooked it for longer, because it's a stew and stews should be able to just cook until you're ready to eat them. I used cooked shrimp too, so I just had to take off the tails and throw them in. I added them to the stew about 20 minutes before we were ready to eat. We gave this one about a 7 or an 8 out of 10. It was good, but it needed something - maybe it was missing the heat from the andouille sausage. I also wasn't crazy about using the crushed tomatoes. I think next time I would make it with stewed tomatoes so it was a bit soupier rather than the way it was. It was almost closer to a sauce. In fact, it even suggests using the leftovers as a sauce on pasta.
Tomorrow is Mushroom Turnovers with Spinach Salad and I'm pretty excited. Anything made with puff pastry is okay by me.

4 comments:

Blam said...

That looks great. I can almost smell it — I'm glad I've already had dinner! Actually, it's pretty similar to a cioppino that I used to make (served over couscous); it had stewed tomatoes, so you could easily swap those in. I'm almost exclusively vegetarian these days, so I'd forego the sausage personally in favor of, say, mussels or whatever other seafood your pocketbook can accommodate. The mushroom turnovers sound awesome, so I'll make sure I don't check in before eating tomorrow, either. 8^)

ashlie said...

Glad you like it, Blam! It seems to be one of those recipes that'd be easy to swap out one or two ingredients to change it up. I'd never had okra before, so that was interesting to throw in there. You could easily use peppers or whatever you had laying around though. I'll be posting the recipe and pictures for tomorrow's meal pretty early before I get distracted by LOST!

Joan Crawford said...

but because I have no idea what andouille sausage is

I don't either and I love you for saying this :) I once got a fancy-pants cookbook in my newly married fervor; it had recipes with ingredients like endives and fiddlehead ferns. I still am not positive as to what an endive is and I do know about fiddlehead ferns but, what the hell, am I supposed to traipse through the forest to gather them?
Here is my simple recipe that makes it seem like you know how to cook:
Take 3 big beautiful fancy oranges and cut away all the peel, then slice them about 1/4 inch circles
place into a large bowl and add 1 thinly sliced red onion and a goodly amount of crumbled blue cheese. Cover and let it marinate in the fridge for an hour. Remove the onion slices and serve.
It doesn't sound good but it is amazing. I pull this out on all new dinner guests. Then I get them liquored up so they are apt to forget my less than impressive main dish :)

ashlie said...

Oh, just you wait for the recipe tomorrow to see how not-fancy I am! I had a rather embarassing moment at the grocery store leading up to this whole experiment...

I have heard the word endive, but I don't think I could pick it out of a lineup, and only know what fiddlehead ferns are because they're what we used as boutonnieres for our wedding - didn't know you could cook with them though!

That recipe sounds just odd enough for me to want to try it - I love it when citrusy, fruity things get mixed with stinky onions and cheese!